Do you know why that strange building shape ?

Post your jeep photos, Pre or Post restoration. Bragging Photos etc. Also LIFE jeep photos.
YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Do you know why that strange building shape ?

Post by YLG80 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:28 am

Yesterday I was driving back from Switzerland on the highway between Luxembourg and Brussels.
While driving I was thinking to the commemorations after the D-Day.
I thought to show you the photo of a restaurant above the highway.
Do you know why the architect decided to give that strange shape to the building ? :wink:
Wanlin_Restaurant_Ardennes.jpg
Yves
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

Klaas
G-Captain
G-Captain

Re: Do you know why that strange building shape ?

Post by Klaas » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:41 am

Hi Yves,

I found a newspaper article which stated that the restaurant at Wanlin is shaped like that to symbolise the gateway to the Ardennes. The gap symbolises the valley of the river Lesse.

(In Dutch/Flemish: Ook architectuur is kunst. Dat bewijst het AC Restaurant bij het Total-tankstation op de E411. Het restaurant strekt zich over de hele autosnelweg uit. Wie er een koffie gaat drinken, zit er als het ware bovenop het verkeer van en naar de Ardennen. Door zijn gespleten vorm, lijkt het restaurant de poort naar de Ardennen. De spleet symboliseert de vallei van de Lesse.)
Klaas
GPW17331 - April 21 1942 - Dallas, "J-dot"
BSA Airborne Bicycle R49171 - 1944

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:12 am

Klaas wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:41 am
Hi Yves,

I found a newspaper article which stated that the restaurant at Wanlin is shaped like that to symbolise the gateway to the Ardennes. The gap symbolises the valley of the river Lesse.

(In Dutch/Flemish: Ook architectuur is kunst. Dat bewijst het AC Restaurant bij het Total-tankstation op de E411. Het restaurant strekt zich over de hele autosnelweg uit. Wie er een koffie gaat drinken, zit er als het ware bovenop het verkeer van en naar de Ardennen. Door zijn gespleten vorm, lijkt het restaurant de poort naar de Ardennen. De spleet symboliseert de vallei van de Lesse.)
Hi Klaas,
It seems that you travel sometimes over there :)! Yes that's really the gateway of the Ardennes.
I didn't know about the gap :shock: .

Hmmm, I have read another explanation during the last renovation of that restaurant.
That's more in relation with our hobby and with the History with an elevated H :D !

Yves
serial 164794

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:09 am

As you mentioned the V shape building across the highway symbolizes the gateway to the Ardennes and the V-shape is also for Victory.
That's related to the battle of the Bulge because of the U.S. Victory after that battle that started as a disaster.
Bastogne and the Mardasson U.S. Memorial are located 45 min South-East from that restaurant.

That U.S. Victory had opened the way to VE-Day on the European Western front and concluded the liberation of Belgium.
Yves
serial 164794

Klaas
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Klaas » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:35 am

Yves, I like your explanation of the V-shape better than the one stated in the article I found. :D
Klaas
GPW17331 - April 21 1942 - Dallas, "J-dot"
BSA Airborne Bicycle R49171 - 1944

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”