Crankshaft pulley fit

Post your jeep photos, Pre or Post restoration. Bragging Photos etc. Also LIFE jeep photos.
Hazmat6750
G-Civilian
Crankshaft pulley fit

Post by Hazmat6750 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:04 pm

I am hoping that I can summon all the experience on this site to help me with this issue. I am in the middle of a frame off restoration on my 1943 GPW 108038 DOD 04/24/43. I was ready to drive the chassis when I noticed my crank pulley was wobbling. I removed the pulley and discovered it was bent in the center shaft bore on the pulley. I ordered a new one from Ron but the center bore does not fit on the crank shaft. I have read some blogs where guys have heated the pulley but I am concerned about the seal on timing cover being affected by the heat.

Any and all help would be great!,

Thanks in advance

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Crankshaft pulley fit

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:09 pm

Hi!

Welcome to the 'Gee'!

First of all, don't do anything to your new pulley; it should have fit. You may want to check your crank for burrs, or any damage from a previous owner ramming a too tight pulley on the crankshaft.

The last pulley I bought from Ron, fit like a glove. It is a bit of a tight fit, what we call a 'press fit'; that means it won't slide on or off with just your hand pulling on it.

If you have the equipment in your toolbox, I would recommend that you get a micrometer & calipers out and check both the crank nose and the pulley tolerances, and that may shed a lot of light on the issue.

Hazmat6750
G-Civilian

Post by Hazmat6750 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:23 am

Thank you very much for the reply. I have checked the shaft and it appears in great condition with no issues. I did check the sizes with a digital caliper and it has the following sizes.

Crank shaft end is 25.48 mm

Pulley Bore is 25.22 mm direct from Ron (who has been great to work with!!)

You mention that it should be tight as not to be able to push or pull it ( the pulley) on.. How do you get it on when the threads will not go past the pulley bore center to apply the starter nut? Did yours go on enough to apply the starter nut?

Thanks again for your time, I do appreciate it

Hazmat6750

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:23 am

Hello,

I had the same issue with a "new" style crank pulley a few years back.
It did not fit, was not the right size at all.
It didn't even match the original look or construction.
What I did was to find an original one on ebay.
It was not nos, but a recycled one in a military repacked paper package.
The area where the seal rides was perfect.

I read that many parts were collected by the military and repacked for future use mainly around the time of the Korean War.

That is what I would try to do, as the new one I got is basically a paper weight.
Certainly not correct for an MB engine.

Find the right one and don't try to bang that new one on to fit.

Best Regards,
Ray

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”