Jeep Ute 1974

Post your jeep photos, Pre or Post restoration. Bragging Photos etc. Also LIFE jeep photos.
bazza46
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Jeep Ute 1974

Post by bazza46 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:58 pm

I purchased this jeep from a grazier I boarded with in 1969-70. I always asked him to give me first bid on it if he ever sold the property, and in 1974, he sold up he let me have it for $100. When I arrived , the property was abandoned, but the jeep was left sitting in a ditch at the side of a public road that went through his land. It had a flat battery and tires, and a broken gearbox. With no one around to help us, and with night falling,we managed to move the jeep out of the mud onto the trailer by removing all the spark plugs, putting it into first gear low range (luckily the only gear broken was second), and hand cranked it up the ramps. After about 1 1/2 hours we got it on, in darkness and headed back to Sydney.
Next morning I took these pictures. The chassis has been extended by 18 inches and a tray body fitted. He used it to round up sheep (with the help of his dogs), take hay to the sheep in dry times and take diesel out to his tractors in 44 gallon drums.
It was sort of like a "rat rod", looking skanky but running well.
Attachments
IMG_4499 c.jpg
IMG_4644kl.jpg
IMG_4643o.jpg
IMG_4646i.jpg
IMG_4650o.jpg
IMG_4651l.jpg
IMG_4652ik.jpg
IMG_4654k.jpg
IMG_46419.jpg
IMG_46420.jpg
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt"..Bertrand Russell

70th Division
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Jeep Ute 1974

Post by 70th Division » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:36 pm

Hello Bazza,

Great pictures, and I love the color quality !!

Do you still have the jeep ?

Best Regards,
Ray

bazza46
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by bazza46 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:46 pm

Hi Ray,
I still have the jeep. I've cannibalized the headlights and inner windscreen frame for another jeep, and I intend to replace the tub on this with a tub I'm restoring, plus a standard chassis. As it's in the open, I'm not going to work on restoration till I get my new shed built. The pictures were taken on Kodachrome 25 slide film on a Halina 35 mm camera, using the exposure guide printed on the side of the film box. Here's another picture of it in its heyday, (that's my jeep in the background) plus a link to a video I did some time ago.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpPbIO ... e=youtu.be
Attachments
IMG_4491 c.jpg
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt"..Bertrand Russell

70th Division
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 70th Division » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:27 pm

Hello Bazza,

That is beautiful that you still have it and plan on a restoration !!
The engine purrs like a kitten in your video.
The jeep world will be better happier place when she is is up and running again, another one
saved !! :D :D :D :D

Good luck on your Jeep shed project !!!!!!
I have been building my Jeep barn over the last few years, along with a
nice loft that will double as a bunk house, and beer hide out :D :D
Now I have my jeeps and my halftrack under cover, and 100 percent protected
from the harsh Florida elements.
I insulated the walls, and the ceiling, (well 2/3 of the ceiling is insulated now) , the other half
I am still adding power outlets and running wires in the loft for TV, little fridge, recessed lighting, etc. the drywall, and ship lap wood planks over that. I mainly insulated
against the Florida Summer Heat !!
I bought an AC/Heat window air conditioner for the loft that is capable of
cooling and heating the entire structure.
It has been great fun, and the old smaller building from 1937 has been "restored"
and enlarged. I still have to add on the bathroom and shower area on the rear of the
building. Having done it all myself, I get a great personal satisfaction every time I work on it
and my Jeeps.
With the new free time we all have, I have been working on my current 1943
GPW that I am literally restoring and building from "spare parts" that I bought from a G member a couple years ago. He sold the entire body package to me, as he bought a new one from Ron.
It is a Ford built and marked body but not a script tub, as it should be.
I have a 43 rolling frame that it is being built on .
One fender restoration is almost done, 1 left to tackle, and the body has most of the
welding repairs done, but a little work still to do on the rear tool box bottoms and panel.
to repair some dents, and holes. Not rust but damages that need to be repaired correctly.
I spot welded in the new gas tank strap panel and it worked beautifully !
I highly recommend getting a spot welder to all G members, it is a beautiful tool, that does wonders !!
Earlier I repaired the rusted area on the driver's side panel along the channel, which is very common.

I have all the parts here, so can work away on it during this quarantine time :D :D
I placed 2 big orders, with free shipping, from Ron a few weeks ago, so I will stay busy and happy !!!

Stay Safe !!!

Best Regards,
Ray
(Florida, USA)

dcartledge
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by dcartledge » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:39 pm

Very nice!
45 MB,64 M151 Searchlight,66 M151A1,74 M151A2 Tow, 86 M1035

JAB
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by JAB » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:17 am

Beautiful!

I can't help but wonder how worn the engine is from running under those dusty conditions with no air filter.

BTW, I think I have the missing portion of your body tub! LOl!!!
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Cotterpin
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Cotterpin » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:12 pm

That’s really cool. It sound great too. Keep us posted. It’ll be interesting to see your progress.
Thanks
1944 GPW-186956
1945 Bantam T3-66670

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”