Driving your jeep windshield up = 25$ fine

Post your jeep photos, Pre or Post restoration. Bragging Photos etc. Also LIFE jeep photos.
YLG80
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Driving your jeep windshield up = 25$ fine

Post by YLG80 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:38 am

@ Mark, I know that you (and me) will never get a fine for driving your jeep windshield up :lol:

But that was not the same with the GI's during WWII especially in Patton's Army! It already started in Africa.
IMG_1061.JPG
IMG_1061.JPG (235.58 KiB) Viewed 602 times
A good reason for folding the windshield down was for safety.
If you were in a war area, the last thing you want to do is give away your position.
With the windshield up, any reflection or glint of light off the glass could make you a certain target to be fired upon.
Mortars, grenades, snipers. Not the kind of things you want to come in contact with. Most GIs preferred to drive with the windshield down.
Many went as far as to cover it with burlap, blankets, anything that would make sure it wouldn't reflect any light accidentally.
Folding the windshield down was one of the things that became a tradition on a Jeep.
So much so that the feature was carried over year after year, even up to the current JK Wranglers.
Of course, the early Jeeps were made by some pretty smart engineers, and dropping the windshield could be done in a minute.
Now with the recent Jeep's, it's become a nightmare feature that few take advantage of :evil: .
Last edited by YLG80 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ford GPW 164794 1/4T 12-7-43 - Frame# GPW*239762*
ACM I body#198443
Restored as 1st Army 759th LT B21
ON6YD(ex YB1AUH)

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Driving your jeep windshield up = 25$ fine

Post by Mark Jesic » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:57 am

Really interesting poster Yves, Yes we would be ok with the windshield down, as for the other stuff, well....... :lol: Nice one Yves.

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:11 pm

I would be bankrupt!
If the weather is nice enough for the top to be off, then the windshield is down.

A co-worker told me that his WWII ETO veteran Great-Grandfather told him that what he remembered about jeeps, was having to drive them with the windshield down, regardless of the weather.
Roy

wheelie
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by wheelie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:33 pm

Cool poster. Right out of Bill Mauldin, I suppose.

It's probably about a 98.00 fine now, in PA, to drive with the windshield DOWN.
chrome don't getcha home
71 cj5
66 tuxedo park
47 jeep truck
68 ? jeep a trench
BTC-3

70th Division
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 70th Division » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:32 pm

Hello Yves,

Great Willy and Joe pic there !!

My father always had his windshield down in France during the bitter January cold.
He also had his Browning water cooled machine gun mounted on the dash, where he sat.
His assistant gunner rode in the back seat, and the driver drove.
His jeep had a wire cutter on it as well, along with a trailer to carry their ammunition.
They would dismount the gun, leave the jeeps behind, and advance to meet the Germans in the forests with many bunkers and pill boxes.

The jeeps and the survivors of the 2 machine gun squads, out of ammo and surrounded, after heavy all day fighting, were captured in Phillipsburg, during Operation Nordwind.

https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/daily ... the-bulge/

The Germans also had a captured chaplain's jeep obtained from an earlier battle in the Vosges Mountains.
My father told me the German's captured jeep's bumper had a small cross on it, and thought it may have been captured from the 45th Division.
He put his assistant gunner who was hit, in that jeep along with 2 German soldiers they shot and patched up earlier. The German's thanked them for taking care of the wounded Germans during the battle.

His assistant gunner is buried in St. Avold, France.

Then they became guests of the Third Reich in a prison labor camp, Lillienstein, outside of Bad Shandau, part of a sub camp of IV-B, near Dresden.

The Russians eventually found the Americans strung out all over the area, after the Germans took off, and they showed them a Ford GP that they said was at the Battle of Stalingrad. They pointed out the Ford Logo on the back of the jeep to them. The Russians really loved their Ford GP, and it treated them well.

Bill Mauldin was a true patriot and illustrator. He saw a lot, and was with the 45th Division.
He had a nice customized jeep or two as well, with Willys and Joe painted on the sides.

Best Regards,

Ray

YLG80
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by YLG80 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:29 am

Hi Ray,
Thanks for that amazing story !
Yves
Ford GPW 164794 1/4T 12-7-43 - Frame# GPW*239762*
ACM I body#198443
Restored as 1st Army 759th LT B21
ON6YD(ex YB1AUH)

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:43 am

Fantastic story Ray, we must promote stories and information like this, it keeps our history alive.

70th Division
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 70th Division » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:56 pm

Thanks Yves and Mark,

I concur that storied need to be written down, and shared.
It keeps the history alive, which is so very important.

Bill Mauldin's son sent me many cases of his books from storage, that we used in 2017 to help raise funds
to erect a beautiful monument at Fort Benning, Georgia at the new National Infantry Museum there.
All the names of the 70th KIA were etched on black polished granite, on the back of the monument.
People can see the actual price paid for their freedom.
The 70th Trailblazers were attached to the 45th Thunderbird Division, for a short time, as Task Force Herren,
before the entire division arrived in the Alsace-Lorraine for the Nordwind battles.
A 45th soldier that was at Anzio told my father during the constant shelling in Phillipsburg, that it was worse than he went through at Anzio !

Speaking of the 45th Division, I would think that more jeep owners would have done up their jeeps with 45th markings.

So many great divisions are being forgotten, even though many 101st and 82nd jeeps are marked up well,
which is fantastic !

The 45th had almost 21,000 casualties, and combat for 511 days.
( That is well over 100 percent ) North Africa, to Sicily, to Italy, to France, to Germany !!

Let's not ever forget the 34th Red Bull Infantry Division.
They had 15,000 Purple Hearts awarded to Red Bull GI's during WW2.
16,401 casualties !! North Africa, to Italy . 517 days in combat !!

The 3rd Infantry Division , The Rock of the Marne,
They went from North Africa, Sicily, Italy, France, Germany and Austria !!
531 Days of Combat !
25,977 Casualties
18,766 Purple Hearts
That looks close to 200 percent casualties.
But keep in mind the 3 Infantry regiments took the vast majority of casualties, think of how many times
they were rebuilt with replacements !!

The forgotten 32nd Infantry Division, The Red Arrows, that was literally going to, and some already underway to Europe, was turned around and sent to the Pacific Theater, as the Aussies need their troops back from Europe, but this division was sent instead.
They were in terrible jungle combat for 654 days against the Japanese !!
They had no jungle training at all !
7,268 combat casualties, but the jungle caused just as many in addition.

The First Infantry Division, The Big Red 1 ,
20,659 casualties !!
North Africa, to Sicily, to Omaha Beach, to France , and into Germany via the Heurtgen Forest.

So many stories, so many divisions, I wish more people would study WW2 History, as we all do,
and perpetuate it with our vehicles and collections.
We try to save the evidence of the War, and those who fought in it, for us all.
I am so thankful for the world they built for us, a life of freedom !!!

God Bless and Remember them All !!!

Best Regards,

Ray

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”