Jeep dame of the Day

Post your jeep photos, Pre or Post restoration. Bragging Photos etc. Also LIFE jeep photos.
Frank USMC
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Jeep dame of the Day

Post by Frank USMC » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:09 pm

ouch....
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:30 pm

aw, don't be hurt...I did read it back then and for some reason remember it. I turned old a few years ago. That's why i get my kicks looking at jeep dames!
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

slatgrille
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by slatgrille » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:50 am

Not to branch off this topic.....BUT, I was wondering when and why the wheel configuration swapped around on wheelchairs. Was it perhaps because having the large wheels in front caused the occupants to take 'headers' (like riding the old high-wheel bicycle)?

Craig

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:26 am

My son often uses a wheel chair and I've moved (literally) tons of material and machinery with dollyswith wheels and casters. My opinion is that with the casters in the back it's easier to manouver, but, it's easier to topple over when going backwards with a high center of gravity. As the castors pivot, when going backwards, the contact point with the ground moves under the chair. Hitting a bump in reverse will allow momentum to topple the chair backwards as the pivot point is to far forward. Moving the castors further away from the front would help, but then the guy pushing the chair trips on them. If an assistant is pulling it backwards it isn't as likely to topple because the assistant is hanging on to it. My guess is that people trying to be self-reliant kept falling backwards and getting head injuries. Another example; My son uses a recumbant tricycle for recreation. He insisted on one front tire and two in the back. Bad move, same reason those 3-wheeler ATV's have been banned. Momentum against the change in direction has resulted in severl spill-overs for him.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:19 am

Duh, Jeep dame of the Day ....under the jeep...

8350844D-B5CD-44A3-8C6D-644030AD0F41.jpeg

Yves
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:16 pm

YLG80 wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:19 am

Yves
Great photo Yves. For a minute there I thought I was watching an evening news report about catalytic converter thefts. Those dames are really getting up close and personal with that Jeep. 8)

Not sure if this one was posted before, but even as a little kid I was in love with Donna Reed:

Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:20 pm

zepher11 wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:16 pm
YLG80 wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:19 am

Yves
Great photo Yves. For a minute there I thought I was watching an evening news report about catalytic converter thefts. Those dames are really getting up close and personal with that Jeep. 8)

Not sure if this one was posted before, but even as a little kid I was in love with Donna Reed:

Hello Zeph,

Great picture !!

She is also surrounded by 2 of my favorite actors !
John Wayne and Robert Montgomery.

Robert Montgomery was also really playing himself as he was a PT Boat Commander and served the entire War in the US Navy,
1941 to 1945.

http://navylog.navymemorial.org/montgomery-robert

The old school actors, what a great group !

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:04 pm

70th Division wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:20 pm

Hello Zeph,

Great picture !!

Robert Montgomery was also really playing himself as he was a PT Boat Commander and served the entire War in the US Navy,
1941 to 1945.

Best Regards,
Ray
I know. That is awesome about Robert Montgomery. I saw he also drove an ambulance in 1940 in France. That generation was amazing. Such a great movie, and of course, I love the Duke as well. Montgomery being a PT captain likely made the movie "They Were Expendable" as good as it is. Such a great movie. And a long movie if I remember correctly!

Montgomery was pretty amazing going into service in his mid thirties. My grandfather was actually drafted into the US Navy in 1944 at the age of 35. He was working for the Bureau of Reclamation on the construction of Shasta Dam at the time. Came back from the war and finished his whole career with the BOR.
Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:11 pm

zepher11 wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:04 pm
70th Division wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:20 pm

Hello Zeph,

Great picture !!

1941 to 1945.

Best Regards,
Ray
I know. That is awesome about Robert Montgomery. I saw he also drove an ambulance in 1940 in France. That generation was amazing. Such a great movie, and of course, I love the Duke as well. Montgomery being a PT captain likely made the movie "They Were Expendable" as good as it is. Such a great movie. And a long movie if I remember correctly!

Montgomery was pretty amazing going into service in his mid thirties. My grandfather was actually drafted into the US Navy in 1944 at the age of 35. He was working for the Bureau of Reclamation on the construction of Shasta Dam at the time. Came back from the war and finished his whole career with the BOR.

Hello Zeph,

Absolutely, he was great, and his daughter was on Bewitched and was a great actress herself !
I enjoyed all his movies and still do !

Did your Grandfather ever use a closed cab CCKW shop van truck ?
The one I have came from California, and Bureau of Reclamation markings on the door, under a layer of paint.

I saw an article online about the Bureau of Reclamation getting a large number of Jeeps and Trucks, right after WW2 to equip and build their vehicle fleets.

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:18 pm

70th Division wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:11 pm
Hello Zeph,

Absolutely, he was great, and his daughter was on Bewitched and was a great actress herself !

The one I have came from California, and Bureau of Reclamation markings on the door, under a layer of paint.

I saw an article online about the Bureau of Reclamation getting a large number of Jeeps and Trucks, right after WW2 to equip and build their vehicle fleets.

Best Regards,
Ray
Hi Ray,

You know, I'm sure they probably received some of the WWII vehicles. Below is a photo from way back. When I first started working at the agency where we operated the electric utility, we had this CCKW as our digger derrick. We auctioned it off in the early 1990's. I wish I would have bid on it. I have no idea where it went. I wasn't as hooked on the WWII era trucks then like I am now.

The agency I worked for is about three miles from Shasta Dam and where my grandfathers lived and worked on the construction of dam, so it's possible this may have come from the BOR. I worked closely with the BOR my entire career, so it's highly possible this came from them. We energized in 1945 when Shasta Dam's power plant came online. We also had our water utility intakes built into the face of the dam.

Anyway, not a Jeep dame, but a closely related big brother 8) :

Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:57 pm

zepher11 wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:18 pm
70th Division wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:11 pm
Hello Zeph,

Best Regards,
Ray
Hi Ray,

You know, I'm sure they probably received some of the WWII vehicles. Below is a photo from way back. When I first started working at the agency where we operated the electric utility, we had this CCKW as our digger derrick. We auctioned it off in the early 1990's. I wish I would have bid on it. I have no idea where it went. I wasn't as hooked on the WWII era trucks then like I am now.

The agency I worked for is about three miles from Shasta Dam and where my grandfathers lived and worked on the construction of dam, so it's possible this may have come from the BOR. I worked closely with the BOR my entire career, so it's highly possible this came from them. We energized in 1945 when Shasta Dam's power plant came online. We also had our water utility intakes built into the face of the dam.

Anyway, not a Jeep dame, but a closely related big brother 8) :

Hello Zeph,

That is a great looking truck, and to think it was still is service onto the 1990's is great !!

It is the same color as my truck.
My truck is still waiting for restoration, but I really have to build a building high enough for it to fit in before working on it.

viewtopic.php?t=264316
Here is a link to my truck from California.

The Reclamation Department did get a pile of jeeps and trucks after the War as surplus.

There is on a Google search and interesting congressional record of the desire to get surplus trucks, that someone was talking about them rotting away, still in crates.

Best Regards,
Ray

HankII
G-Major
G-Major

Post by HankII » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:37 am

Yeoman.jpg
Only 2 things in life make it worth livin'
Is old Jeeps tuned good & Firm Feelin women

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:41 am

-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:20 pm

JAB wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:41 am
Great photo Jeff !

Is that John Wayne driving the one on the right ?

2 Ford GPW's :D :D

Ray

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:46 pm

I have no idea. It was posted on anothert site. I tried a web search but just found it on a pinintrest site that calls it 90 jeeps at the beach. Here's another one;
and this
and this;
and this;
and this;
and here's a good one;
whoo hoo!
but wait! there's more!
here's another;
it never ends!
there's more in the next posting...
Last edited by JAB on Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”