Interesting WWII Bomb Disposal Jeep

Post your jeep photos, Pre or Post restoration. Bragging Photos etc. Also LIFE jeep photos.
zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Interesting WWII Bomb Disposal Jeep

Post by zepher11 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:55 pm

A friend of mine found some photos of his father in WWII. He mentioned what island, but I didn't write it down and forgot. First photo is of his father in a Jeep on some island in the Pacific. The windshield is marked "BOMB DISPOSAL" with what looks like a flaming bomb insignia on the driver's side. Not sure. Also, I thought it was interesting that where the registration number usually is it says "TAXIWAY" with something above that. I can't tell if it is the registration number. I think I can see "USA" to the right above "....WAY" He indicated that his dad was in underwater demolition and was one of the first Frogman. He would go onto the landing beaches before an invasion to "dispose" of potential problems in the surf/beach. Not sure about that either. Here is the Jeep photo:

"Found on beach" This one is interesting. I believe this is a SBD Dauntless parked on the beach...going back to my modeling days. Looks like a Dodge Carryall behind the plane. My friend thought this was his dad in the photo...I didn't. He called today and told me he found another photo of the plane with his dad in the photo...I asked if one could see the Carryall better. Just a tad he said. This is not his dad:

His father is third from the left in this graduation photo. Hmmm...not many graduates. I wonder how many they started with? Neat photo:

Interested in comments if anyone has some insights into the photos.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

macaddict23
G-Major General
G-Major General
Re: Interesting WWII Bomb Disposal Jeep

Post by macaddict23 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:55 pm

Love the first photo!

Have a look at my reverse negative below. What you think is USA on the hood is actually OSA, as in BOMB DISPOSAL.

Dexter
Attachments
BombDisposal.png
BombDisposal.png (97.14 KiB) Viewed 3798 times
"Originality . . . It just needs to be what it is."

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:53 am

Yep, you are correct Dexter. I didn't really notice the "L" in DISPOSAL on the hood initially. Most of the in theater photos I have seen of Jeeps typically have a hood registration number. Of course, I haven't really looked with the idea of identifying Jeeps in theater without registration numbers. Now I will be note that as I peruse Jeep photos in the future. It must have been fairly common.

Best regards,
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:32 am

Thanks for sharing these interesting photos, history is kept alive with posts like this. :D

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”