M3A4 wheels and axle in salvage yard....

WW1 & 2 Hand Carts Any Country NO EBAY OR COMMERCIAL SALES
Thomas Jacobson
Sergeant Major of the Gee

M3A4 wheels and axle in salvage yard....

Post by Thomas Jacobson » Fri May 14, 2021 12:03 pm

Anybody want this? I found the wheels for an M3A4 w/original tires (rotted, but they say Military), the wheels are rusted through in a few spots, but spokes and hubs are all intact and could be restored with some work, and the axle side brackets are there. None of the tow bar is there, only aluminum left is the axle support castings, NOT the center casting for the tow bar or any other tow bar castings (too bad). I will attach a picture. I might be talked into picking it up and cutting off the axle etc. and shipping it.. the salvage yard guy would not bother... located in NW Wisconsin. If somebody wants it, PM me and we can talk on the phone. I would suspect you would have to pay him on the order of a few hundred, so he could buy his wife a new garden tractor cart. If you are in the upper midwest shipping could go via Speedy, so cheap, but else you are looking at $100+ these days. And you would need to make it worth my while in some way too... I guess, as you are asking me to spend a day chasing it down, cutting off the buba junk, and packing.
Just trying to save another WWII item... Willing to tell you his contact info, but only after preping you for the conversation.
Thomas.

Here is a picture:
http://thomas.tcjnet.com/wp-content/upl ... caled.jpeg
Thomas Jacobson
02/24/42 Slatgrill
MVPA 13070
Northwest Wisconsin
thomas@tcjnet.com
http://thomas.tcjnet.com/mbgpw/

Thomas Jacobson

Re: M3A4 wheels and axle in salvage yard....

Post by Thomas Jacobson » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:47 am

This has been recovered and is no longer available.... one more item saved from oxygen/rusting away to oblivion... T.
Thomas Jacobson
02/24/42 Slatgrill
MVPA 13070
Northwest Wisconsin
thomas@tcjnet.com
http://thomas.tcjnet.com/mbgpw/

GPW1263

Re: M3A4 wheels and axle in salvage yard....

Post by GPW1263 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:37 am

Those types of wheels were produced in several sizes for commercial applications of that era. Larger sizes are often found on wheel-barrows (the type that were commonly used to move concrete to areas not readily accessible (before concrete pumps were developed). They are often referred to as a Georgia Buggy.

Similarly sized wheels were often used on four-wheel trailers such as flight-line carts and platform carts for luggage and the closest I have found (size-wise) have been on vintage grain augers of the era. I'm hesitant to claim that those wheels are exact duplicates because I haven't one to actually show you but if my memory serves me, they matched.....right down to the hub being the same.

Return to “HAND CARTS - FOR SALE & WANTED - General Discussion & Knowledge Base”