What's a fair price?

1950 - 1968, M38, M38A1, M170, Wanted jeeps or parts... list your needs.
RickH
G-Private
G-Private

What's a fair price?

Post by RickH » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:47 pm

Newbie here and this is my first post, so be gentle. Here's my background...I learned to drive on a Willys SW back around 1960. Since then, I've owned or had access to, a CJ2, CJ5, YJ and my current daily driver, a 2012 JK. bought new. I'm looking for a summer toy, strictly for around town use. A local Jeep shop with years of experience has two restored M38s for sale. One is a 1950, restored nicely in military fashion, with pioneer tools and a top, but has a replacement Ford 2.0l engine, apparently out of a Pinto. The other is well done up in bright yellow, in the fashion of a "Follow Me" jeep, with the original Go Devil engine, but none of the other accoutrements; i.e., no pioneer tools, street type tires instead of military, more modern front seats, and turn signals added. Both are of course, 12v conversions. The dealer is asking $12k for either. The price doesn't necessarily scare me off, but I'm wondering if I should pursue these or look for a civilian Jeep instead. I've got another local dealer with a couple of very nice 2004 LJs for about the same price, and there are several more older YJs and TJs available for 2/3 the asking price of the M38s. Given my situation, what do y'all think? M38, Civilian Jeep, or a Miata? The military M38 would certainly look cool, parked outside my favorite local pub, but I'm wondering about the Ford engine.

IvorGPW
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
Re: What's a fair price?

Post by IvorGPW » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:59 pm

It all depends what you want in the end, I think if the 2.0 conversion is nicely done its not a deal breaker but the price needs to reflect accordingly that it is an incorrect engine. But I haven’t heard anything bad about pinto swapped jeeps like you do with v8 jeeps. I think the pinto swap makes for a good driver but if you want a correct show jeep it is a problem that would cost a lot to fix. I think since you already have a Jk I would vote for getting a old jeep or a Miata. Be sure you can get into either one thought, maybe even try one out. Miatas are a whole lot of fun and so are old jeeps
Tate Christensen
1944 Ford GPW #234613 USMC Radio jeep
1943 Willys MB #263100
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
1941 Ford GP #9687
1941 Willys MB #100161

Ron D
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Ron D » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:25 pm

I sure don't mind seeing the M38 market asking price go up and up, but $12k seems at least 30% high to me for what you describe. Not surprising from a dealer who also has expenses. Probably better off looking for a private sale. Original data plates and of course a clean Title are also worth it.

Patience, they're out there.

The nugget will surface, but it can take time. And you have to be ready to pull the trigger when you see it. Until then search and learn all you can.

I think very few who're selling old jeeps will ever get close to making a dime out of the deal. For most it's a labor of love (or insanity).

Good luck!
Ron D
1951 M38
1951 M100

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:35 pm

I have friend about to list his M38 that needs wiring work and brakes checked coming up for sale shortly.
He will be in South Eastern Virginia.
Even if you paid a mechanic full wages to wire it, and check the brakes and a few other things it requires, you would save over 4K in purchase price if not more. (buy extra gear with the money saved) I think he's looking for under 7K.
He had picked it up at an Estate sale where it had been stored inside for many years and stayed in fairly good shape.
If you want something like that VS a turn key cross breed, I can contact him, or his post may come up later this week.
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

JMZ421
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by JMZ421 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:32 am

Ford Pinto M38!!, stay away from that. I agree with prior post 100%. Buy a real M38. Good luck, John

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:14 am

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Run away from that guy as fast as you can. Those Frankensteins will never be worth anything.
Oh, welcome to G503. I'm only a couple hours away from you; come on down and I'll show you 7 jeeps. Two in process; an M606 and a GPW.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:09 am

Hope I didn't scare the young tyke away......
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Big Spur
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Big Spur » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:13 pm

I have a 1951 M38 partially restored and all original for sale. It’s USAF strata blue with radios too. Comes with the clear Virginia title and all manuals. $6000.
Attachments
F54AB245-96C9-4F2E-BA48-1A7453D07C31.jpeg
M38
1951 M38
1952 M100

Lt Col, USAF (RET)

RickH
G-Private
G-Private

Post by RickH » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:26 am

dpcd67 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:09 am
Hope I didn't scare the young tyke away......
LOL! Thanks for all the comments. This "young tyke" is 75 years old. I'm a driver, not a builder, so whatever I get is going to be probably my last automotive play toy, and needs to be something requiring minimal maintenance for the <1k miles/year it will be driven around town. Thus, my search for a fully functional vehicle. I'm trying to recapture the fun my wife and I had driving around in her family's beloved CJ-2 on our honeymoon 53 years ago. The CJ was stolen out of the front yard of our family cabin a few years later, to be replaced with a CJ-5 that I drove for many more years, before purchasing my own '95 YJ and later my current 2012 JK. I'm waiting for the Jeep shop owner to pull the two M38s out of their indoor long-term storage spaces and fire them up before I make any decision.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:35 am

Neophytes come in all ages; so welcome. However, you might already be aware of this, but these vehicles are very maintenance intensive and require constant PMCS, as well as repair actions, to keep them going. Read the TM and you will note all the periodic services required. Those are not just suggestions. I always cringe when I hear that someone (and I have friends like this) who just want to jump in and drive them. None of them can go for long with minimal maintenance. Owning an old MV requires the owner to get far more involved than with a new vehicle.
For me, the restoration is the main thing; I have driven plenty of them so that is not as big an attraction. Ok, it still is. Jeeps and Dodges.
Good luck.f
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

RickH
G-Private
G-Private

Post by RickH » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:57 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I pulled the trigger on the USMC Follow-Me M38 today. We rolled it out of its parking spot and the dealer should have it ready for me in a few days. It's been somewhat civilianized, with turn signals in place of the blackout lights, 12v alternator electrics, and an overdrive with Warn lockouts, but it should be perfect for crusing the strip this summer. Bodywork and frame are all original and near perfect, and a lovely Go-Devil flathead, so it would be an easy project if a later owner wanted to take it back to full MilSpec. Pics will follow when I get it home, after the seatbelts and the side steps, on order from KW are installed for my 4'10" wife.

Return to “M38, M38a1 Wanted”