Separating Hobart welder from Willys engine

Knowledge Base NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
gpwmke
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General
Separating Hobart welder from Willys engine

Post by gpwmke » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:44 pm

Junking out the welder end but saving the Willys engine. Engine is a CJ but worth saving, So how do I separate the welder from the engine? Last time I did this I cut the welder to pieces to separate them but don't want to do that this time. The unit is from 1964 and has the Industrial head and block. I know I will need to change some parts to make it work on a jeep, but right now the challenge is to get them apart. I have a nice manual for the engine but not for the welder. Any help appreciated.Engine tag says model CJ2A, Eng. Assy. 914361, Serial RJ-306177. No data tag on welder cabinet must be long gone. A maintenance tag from P.O. says Make Hobart. Model G 261, Amp 250, S.N. 12CW-31959, Specs. 4105A. Engine Make. Willys. BSBI. Best wishes;

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Separating Hobart welder from Willys engine

Post by Adam » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:14 am

Get all the junk out of the way of the engine and its generator case. start from the far end, remove the cap, bolt in the center shaft if one, fan if one,and work at pulling the stator off. its heavy, use a hoist. after that is gone, take the 6 bolts off that hold on the rotor.
there is at least 4 different stators on these, some have stator bolts visible and accessable from outside, some you have to go in from the generator brush end.

Post a picture, or 2 or 3,, mainliner or pipeliner?

Adam

gpwmke
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by gpwmke » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:54 am

Believe its a Pipeliner, Data tags were missing. Aside from pulling it all apart from the exposed end of the welder, (under the control panel), is there a way to just split the welder from the engine? Unit is a G261 and had the reverse polarity switch on the panel, All the other details on the unit I think I put in my opening post.

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:40 pm

Send me a picture of the engine and bellhousing area, or post it or i can post one of mine. Problem is you will need to get 6 bolts off of the rotor, they use the original clutch holes in the flywheel. You cant get to them unless the stator is off, now if this welder has an open stator, yes you can, but then you could see all the bolts right now from the side of the unit. It will take less then 4 hours, in a garage with a hoist to get it apart from a fully assembled welder useing an impact and standard tools.

ADam

Return to “Willys Go Devil Engine Based GENERATOR SETS and COMPRESSORS(Includes Hobart Bros. & other GenSets)”