Just picked up a French unit, strip for parts?

Knowledge Base NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
JAB
G-General
G-General

Just picked up a French unit, strip for parts?

Post by JAB » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:39 am

I just picked up one of these gensets, with French language instructions and an HWOF block and Willys head and an oil pan with a skid plate. It looks like it couldd be restored, but I haven't played with it yet. My intention was simply to use the engine for my GPW and scrap the rest for $$. Are there folks using these that might want to work out a deal for this unit in return for a more suitable motor and air cleaner for my GPW or, as I've read on some sites, is the only value in the motor and copper windings?
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Just picked up a French unit, strip for parts?

Post by Adam » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:44 am

If it was running and somebody wanted a french unit there is some value in it. Maybe a little for a wof engine sitting on the ground. Look in the willys of france jeep section for an engine price, also is it cracked under the dist?? or someplace.

Air filter depending on unit may be able to be used unless you have a later K unit.

Saying it may be able to be restored puts the image of a rusty junker unit in my mind.

It has about 72 lbs of copper in it, lots of asbestos. I had insulation parts tested years ago, lots of work to get if out, I only know 1 person taking it all out. My time is worth more than the 200 in copper and contanimation of my stuff.

Radiator if it is good looking may be saleable, there is one on here now for sale for a few weeks already. but you need to drain it dry, package it really good, it will be heavy and big and cots lots of $$$ to ship. The rads are usually all dented up anyway and full of grease.

I dont know many, if anybody that has bought a used rotor and stator, 75 y/o insulation, does it work or is it shorted, what ser number units and model does it fit. I sell the junk generator section for 15 cents a pound for 500 pounds and the scrap yard deducts for excess steel.

So, what is i worth? probably not worth your time with nickel and dime or 10 and 20 buck parts. pics, Its in WI, is engine good? Panels in good shape in and out. Who wants a french unit? Maybe put it in the barn and buy a running unit and go from there.

Adam

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:03 am

Thanks. That’s kind of what I thought. I bought it for the engine and air cleaner for my GPW or a friend’s CJ2A, depending.....
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

gpwmke
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by gpwmke » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:37 pm

Good luck with your generator.

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:49 am

gpwmke wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:37 pm
Good luck with your generator.
You're mocking me Leo, arent you!? Lol!

The freind that needs the CJ2A motor is coming over today to look at it. He lost interest in the CJ2A block I picked up when we learned it was 0.080" over already and had a possible crack below the distributor (I thought that was just a Ford thing). He wants one that can be bored to 0.010" over so he can just transfer all his nearly new parts into it. We'll determine what course of action (or inaction?) later today.

Kind of a shame to basically scrap these, but I guess after 60 to 75 years and the danger from electric shock or fire due to old age......it kind of makes some sense to at least use the engine.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:58 am

You dont have to scrap them all. The chassis can be earth grounded so u dont get zapped if you touch it.

They all run, so claim the sellers, fine print, " if you take the battery out of your truck to crank her, and the gas tank off your lawnmower to fuel her, and use starting fluid to start her and use this wire to hold open the throttle" etc. Fuel tanks are always rusted and full of crud, hoses and metal pieces usually 1950 era, thermostats stuck. You can spend a grand or more getting a "runing unit" running correctly. thats with a carb rebuild, professional fuel tank cleaning and coating, all tune up parts, all hoses, and a radiator cleaning at a rad shop. Hopefully mickey mouse did not have a party in the control box or in the generator section, then maybe she will be off to the parts bin.

The genset with only 15 hours on her, well that hour meter was changed when she was prepped and put into storage, pull the oil pan and look an a main and rod bearing to get a hour estimate. Take a compression test after running her and see all are kinda low.

I use a N 15 for power back up, took lots of work to get her to be dependable. You need to run her every month or 2 or covert dist to electronic as the points will corrode, nothing like a foot or 2 of snow in the wind working on a genset. Then it is always in the way, gotta keep her outside away from the house, yet close enough to get an extension cord or 4 to her when power goes out. Then a gallon or so of fuel when you run her, so now you need a fuel storage tank.

On the other hand, I can run the water heater, stove, clothes dryer, and well pump at the same time, and still have some power left when a storm like Sandy comes through and power is out for a week. And then also have a spare engine for the jeep if needed

Adam

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:18 am

Sadly, even with the recent electrical storm power outage, I've decided to keep the engine and scrap the rest. I will sell any part I don't need for the price of scrap plus shipping. Let me know what you need.
Attachments
IMG_7002.JPG
IMG_7003.JPG
IMG_7005.JPG
IMG_7004.JPG
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Return to “Willys Go Devil Engine Based GENERATOR SETS and COMPRESSORS(Includes Hobart Bros. & other GenSets)”