Just picked up

Knowledge Base NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Greencom
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Just picked up

Post by Greencom » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:11 pm

I saw this on my local Craigslist, I've been looking for a while to replace the civvy engine in my slat grill with an MB engine so I made an appointment with the seller (I've bought from him before) and went to take a look. It's a 1943 engine 320XXXX , it started and ran very smoothly and quietly, no smoke, so I took a chance and bought it, (hes treated me very well in the past). I was surprised to see everything there, (he did not have a picture of the unit in the Craigslist ad), starter, genny, regulator, air cleaner, I figured those units alone are worth almost what I paid for the whole unit. I've never seen this setup before, the assembly on the side of the engine (regulator, filter boxes?,ammeter, terminal strip) are factory installed, I managed to find some images online with the exact same setup. The AC generator has a data plate from Kato-Light on one side and another plate from Schramm on the other. The Schramm plate indicates it's from a Navy contract as the engine and accessories are painted gray. Anybody familiar with this beast?
Attachments
G4.JPG
G3.JPG
G2.JPG
G1 (3).JPG

autonoob
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class
Re: Just picked up

Post by autonoob » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:41 pm

Cool, looks like you have a cool project to work on within the next few days.

Greencom
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Greencom » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:10 pm

yup, good therapy.

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:43 am

Nice unit, I have never seen one like it.
Was just out in your neck of the woods for the PE95 genset out near harrisburg.

Adam

Greencom
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Greencom » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:49 pm

Adam,
I thought about you when I saw the listing. I had a feeling you were the buyer!

Greencom
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Greencom » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:58 pm

After dropping and cleaning out the oil pan and pickup I got the Navy genset engine set up with a cooling system and installed an oil and temp gauge. The original carb was a weird little Zenith with a broken choke shaft, so I borrowed the carb (Carter 450S) from my PU-58 and installed it. The old gray Navy Willys fired up and purred. I decided to install my brand new repro Carter 539S on the engine, no luck. The engine will not run unless the carb is in almost full choke, I adjusted the idle mixture with no positive effect. Can the smaller genset intake manifold be screwing up the 539S? I understand that the 539S is not calibrated for a genset manifold but I thought it should be OK at idle and low speeds. Bad new carb? I heard some great reviews about it.
Thanks,
Bob

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:05 pm

I have run mb and cj2a carbs with genset manifolds with no issues. ran my mb jeep engine, with a genset manifold and a 539s for years till i got the right manifold.

you did not do anything else to the genset in between carb changes did you? same carb gasket used for both carbs?

Adam

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:09 pm

Is that a garage you are working in or a picnic pavilion or what?

Adam

Greencom
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Greencom » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:53 pm

Hi Adam,
Nope, I didn't change anything between carbs, same gasket. Yes, that's a garage, what looks like an opening in the back wall is a translucent plastic panel that lets in sunlight, I think it;s called a skybelt. I assume that's what you were wondering about. Anyway I guess I'll call the dealer who sold me the carb and see what he has to say, I do not want to tear into a new expensive 539S. My PU-58 had the same issue when I first got it, it turned out to be two clogged gets, cleared them out and all was well, that's the carb that performs so well on the Navy engine now.
Here's a video of a restart after initial warm up with carb from PU-58
Bob
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yea7uzE623o

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:32 am

So no way plug wires got crossed then..

you can always put that carb on a jeep and prove it. is it one of the JMP carbs?

adam

Greencom
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Greencom » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:29 am

Yes, JMP, but I've gotten other stuff from him through various dealers and they are quality stuff, the carb is a beauty, may just need a float level check.
It's all fun (kinda).
Bob

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:19 am

Its more than a float level issue if it is the carb. I have a new in the box one here too.

Hope it works when I need it. Keep us posted. I have genset carbs if you need one.

Adam

Bart1015
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Bart1015 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:53 am

Greencom wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:58 pm
After dropping and cleaning out the oil pan and pickup I got the Navy genset engine set up with a cooling system and installed an oil and temp gauge. The original carb was a weird little Zenith with a broken choke shaft, so I borrowed the carb (Carter 450S) from my PU-58 and installed it. The old gray Navy Willys fired up and purred. I decided to install my brand new repro Carter 539S on the engine, no luck. The engine will not run unless the carb is in almost full choke, I adjusted the idle mixture with no positive effect. Can the smaller genset intake manifold be screwing up the 539S? I understand that the 539S is not calibrated for a genset manifold but I thought it should be OK at idle and low speeds. Bad new carb? I heard some great reviews about it.
Thanks,
Bob
Greencom-

I had the same issue with a JMP carb. I bought it when they first came on the market. I opened it up and adjusted the float, metering rod and fuel air mixture with no luck. The carb was defective and I returned it to the dealer.

I know at the time, other guys have had similar issues, but I have no idea if JMP addressed the problem with the carbs being sold now. I hope they have.

In the end, I used the refund money to have my wartime unit rebuilt by scoutpilot. Money well spent.

Brett
1942 VEP GPW, J-2 winch, BC-659, 1919a4
1945 GPW, 1943 MBT
Sold - 1967 M151a1, 1943 MB, M416
www.ToThePointPolygraph.com

Greencom
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Greencom » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:09 pm

Brett,
What a hassle, thanks for the info, I will put my problem to the dealer and see what he comes up with, I have no 539S core to work on so I need to iron this out. At first I thought it was ok because I tried it on the Navy genset with no cooling system just to see if the engine was functional so I ran it with choke for about 30 seconds and it was great sounding, it wasn't until I cobbled up a radiator and found out it needed choke all the time.
Bob

Randy R.
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Randy R. » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:07 pm

I have one just like it thats complete and ran great.I haven’t run it in a while. Yours is now the second one I’ve seen. Does yours have a radiator and a panel in front of it that says “Sears” my assumption was that the panel was an add on.
1942 GPW 17699 Rehomed
1942 MB 127260 BRT
1943 GPW 112450
1944 Dodge WC 52
1947 CJ2A
PE 95K
MVPA 31649

Return to “Willys Go Devil Engine Based GENERATOR SETS and COMPRESSORS(Includes Hobart Bros. & other GenSets)”