Hobart 12.5K Generator with Willys engine

Knowledge Base NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
chucks_toy
G-Major
G-Major

Hobart 12.5K Generator with Willys engine

Post by chucks_toy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:39 am

This is a 1942 Hobart military generator. Hour meter shows 117 hours. It has a cj2a Willys engine in it. One side panel is missing, all other sheet metal is good. When I purchased it the governor seal was leaking oil, so I by passed the governor. It starts right up and does not smoke. I ran this engine on January 6, 2021. The carb and fuel system needs to cleaned due to sitting, I am running it off of a portable tank. I sold my cj2a and now do not need this engine. I can't load pictures, see them here; https://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/d/si ... 43282.html
C Strickland

chucks_toy
G-Major
G-Major

Re: Hobart 12.5K Generator with Willys engine

Post by chucks_toy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:19 am

This is a doubled up listing. I made the mistake and listed this here twice. Please delete this one.
C Strickland

chucks_toy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by chucks_toy » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:04 am

Need to move this, any offers?
C Strickland

chucks_toy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by chucks_toy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:15 am

Generator has been sold.
C Strickland

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:40 am

FWIW:
The back of some Hobart Gensets have a Willys Industrial Engine with an additional two holes just under the top of the block surface on the rear housing web "CAST IN" this is something like the 'Engine standard #1' bell housing, industrial engines are made for round bellhousings of various sizes based on HP or size, I think a 2-1/2T truck is something like a #3 standard or such.

This means if you transfer the metal flex plate, flywheel and starter over, the hole for the timing on the flywheel is hidden by the engines extra metal in casting (plus two bolts holes don't exist on the transmission bell housing)

On mine a grinder and some careful heavy auguring away at the cast web made it appear fairly WWII style and compatible. It's not insurmountable, but may throw someone off if they think the blocks are identical (which this one may be a normal vehicle casting...)

Although It's sold now, you may look it over to see, and let the new owner rest easy that it will work with mod, etc. if needed.
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Return to “Willys Go Devil Engine Based GENERATOR SETS and COMPRESSORS(Includes Hobart Bros. & other GenSets)”