Generator engine in a Jeep

Knowledge Base NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Lots_to_learn
G-Private
G-Private
Generator engine in a Jeep

Post by Lots_to_learn » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:33 am

Looking at a Jeep which has an engine fitted that has low hours having been a generator in the Norwegian army.
Runs and sounds sweet but I was informed that the engines differ. The compressions are different and as a result and owing to speed not being the need that these engines are not suitable for use as a Jeep engine.
Anyone any knowledge?
I’ve no model or engine numbers etc so I’m just looking for a general view and the hope that someone here as come across such an installation previously. Thanks

Bart1015
G-Major
G-Major

Re: Generator engine in a Jeep

Post by Bart1015 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:18 am

The short answer is, the engine blocks are same.

The head and intake manifold are usually the only items that are specific to the gensets. But, for some reason, some of the engines installed in gensets have the standard head and manifold.

The genset engine head will be marked "industrial" and the intake manifold is smaller in diameter. A visual comparison of a standard intake to the genset intake and you will immediately see the difference in size.

Just install the normal jeep head, manifold, carb and other small stuff and you should be good to go.

Adam, who posts in the section often is a really good resource for info. You may want to reach out to him.

Brett
1942 VEP GPW, J-2 winch, BC-659, 1919a4
1945 GPW, 1943 MBT
Sold - 1967 M151a1, 1943 MB, M416
www.ToThePointPolygraph.com

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:47 am

Depends on which engine from which genset and what updates it has gone through.

post some pictures and some numbers, block casting numbers too. Hobart made some postwar generators that used reconditioned ww2 surplus engines, had correct manifolds, carbs and parts on them. Look at each part, stuff gets changed.

As far as low hours go, if the unit was reconditioned or prepped after the war the hour meter could of been changed. One company even pulled the oil pans and cleaned them out. Best way to judge hours is to pull the middle main bearing cap or a rod cap and look at wear on the bearings.

Adam

Lots_to_learn
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Lots_to_learn » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:51 am

Thanks Adam. I tried to post a video I have of it running which may help, it’s quite some miles from where I am living otherwise I’d get photos.if you have an email I’ll send you e video as clearly you know your stuff and may be able to comment.
All help is really welcomed

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:31 am

email link is good, adam18830@yahoo.com

Lots_to_learn
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Lots_to_learn » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:55 am

Some pics for comments re my post

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:38 am

Pics of the engine in the jeep
Attachments
IMG_0811a.jpg
IMG_0813.JPG
IMG_0812.JPG

Return to “Willys Go Devil Engine Based GENERATOR SETS and COMPRESSORS(Includes Hobart Bros. & other GenSets)”