PE 95 H with GPW engine

Knowledge Base NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

PE 95 H with GPW engine

Post by Adam » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:14 am

This has been for sale for a couple of months,in MD, so since nobody wanted her. she is now mine.

From an estate sale so PO knew nothing except it sat for 20 years. Looks like somebody tried pulling engine and found it don't come out that easy. Right now all is stuck, Will see what damage was done shortly and if worth keeping. GPW engine doesn't belong in there so will need an MB engine if rotor and stator isn't damaged.

Adam
Attachments
20200217_113437a.jpg
20200217_161145a.jpg
20200217_161150a.jpg

TwoCar
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: PE 95 H with GPW engine

Post by TwoCar » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:42 am

I just picked up a PE-95 with a GPW engine in it as well.
GPWs 196622 & 196623
GPs 14351 & 16625
Slat Grill 118247
Convertos 0567349 & 0877894
Daughter - 10/23/2012
Son - 01/02/2018
Wife - Top Secret

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:28 am

Great! they are still out there? will it run or did the PO get to it?

Adam

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:33 am

Finally got back to this, Well it was stuck, but somebody tried to pull the morow the wrong way. After getting the rotor and stator off, they were damaged, the brush holders were mashed, the rotor and stator have damage from bouncing around during transit. When they changed the engine back in the day, most of the bolt were replaced with modern, wires spiced and taped up, the big ones coming out of the genset too.

Anyway engine has no serial number. nothing above #1 exhaust port either. Date wheel on the back of the engine. After getting the rotor and stator off, the engine does turn. Had antifreeze in her and no cracks visible. Will get a compression test soon.

Adam
Attachments
20151231_230543a.jpg
20151231_230538a.jpg

Pawel88
G-Civilian

Post by Pawel88 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:33 pm

Hey Adam, I just purchased a Army Corps Power unit PE 95 -H with GPW engine in it and it looks like it has been there since new. Whole unit is pretty much in good shape but i need to pull the motor out. Any advise on how to proceed ? I hear it's pretty tricky.
IMG_6253.JPG

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:45 pm

There is a time laps video in this forum from a few years back that shows somebody doing it. Not mine.

In the above pictures somebody tried pulling the engine off. You can see it seperated, Almost impossible to do it this way.Doubt engine is original, if it had a serial number thats the jeep it came out of. These things have been tampered with for 60 years. Then why would onan put in a ford engine when willys had hundreds, if not thousands of them waiting to go in gensets.

I take the generator end cap and exciter windings off, then the stator, then the rotor. This stuff is heavy,, together over 500 lbs, watch your fingers. If you plan on reassembling it and have patience, then, well, sometimes you can reach inside and get all the bolts out, you should take the brushes out, and maybe the end cap too so the bakelite doesnt break. Its only tricky if you want to reuse the generator section, its easy to damage. On the other hand does the generator section work? 70 year old wiring and insulation, its brittle, Gen section is only good for a H unit. Doubt you will find a buyer if you plan to resell it.

If you only want the engine and dont plan on putting it back together, take off all the stuff you wont need, ending up with the engine and generator section sitting in the chassis, pull off the brush cover, then the bearing cover end assembly with the brushes in it. take off the 6 nuts on the engine bellhousing, if you arent going to reinstall this stuff, pean the stud ends over so the studs come out. unbolt the main gererator bolts from the frame, use a overhead lift and seperate the stator from the bell housing or fan cover and pull it off, then unbolt the rotor, it bolts into the flywheel clutch holes and centers on the pilot hole. Then just get the fan cover or bellhousing off and you are set.

There is 72 lbs of copper in there, most not removable without exxcessive work, it may have asbestos coatings and insulation in there. scrap yard will give you $0.15 a pound for the generator section. Pictures are for general use, these are from a K unit.

Adam
Attachments
just 296a.jpg
just 299a.jpg
just 300a.jpg

Return to “Willys Go Devil Engine Based GENERATOR SETS and COMPRESSORS(Includes Hobart Bros. & other GenSets)”