Ingersoll-Rand MC-2A 15 CFM Air Compressor...

Knowledge Base NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Ingersoll-Rand MC-2A 15 CFM Air Compressor...

Post by D.R.H. » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:52 pm

Gents, I had to buy another toy. As in the above title, it is an air compressor. Screw type. It had some issues that I straightened out quickly. It wouldn't roll, so I had to remove the wheels and drums. The brakes were so bad that the friction material just fell off the frames :lol: . The starboard side return spring had broken, so removing the drum was a little difficult. The port side spring was okay and the drum came off a bit easier. I'll take pics. of the installation of new parts next week. It went up for auction over 14 months ago but was never picked up. I am its' caretaker now. You won't believe what I paid for it.

The trailer had been jack-knifed when being backed up a long time ago which resulted in torn and wrinkled steel.

With a bit of welding and serious heat, I was able to return the Lunette to its' correct position.

Here is the GovPlanet tag with all the tracking info about the compressor. I can't believe it cost the Govt. $5553.18, when it was new.
I paid $257.00. The bidding was in $5.00 increments and topped out at $205.00 with your's truly having the winning bid.

I don't know how old the fuel is or if it JP8 or just Diesel, but she started right up and ran well for about 30 minutes until I turned the switch off. I will be doing a paint job and complete filter and fluids flush in the near future. Thanks for looking.
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Ingersoll-Rand MC-2A 15 CFM Air Compressor...

Post by D.R.H. » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:27 pm

My buddy Primal 4 X 4 delivered my Weasel to me last Thursday. We then did some running around by going to two different GovPlanet surplus yards to pick up items He had bid on and won. The second yard we went to on Friday was up on the Snoqualmie pass. I found two 6 ton Jack Stands and one Caster Wheel.
I had thought that it would be a good modification as apposed to the skid. I know it is no longer in its' stock configuration but, I gotta be able to push that thing around. Lifting the draw bar and pulling while walking backward is right out the window. Too awkward. Here is the quick and better mod. that I did this evening. Now the thing rolls super easy and is way less awkward to move.

Sorry about the bluish tinge, my cell phone is quite old. With the caster in place, the compressor unit sits just an inch higher at the lunette than before.
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:47 pm

So, a lot has been going on around here in the way of fixing machines. The Chevy needs attention along with the Weasel and the I.G. MC-2A. Whichever Hooplehead abused this Air compressor sure did a pretty good job of it. But who cares anyway, it's just a piece of tax payer equipment. :roll: ...
Anyway, I'm happy to fix it and be able to put it to work and know it will perform as it was designed.

So I tackled the brakes today, which were in need of help. I took the shoe frames to Cascade Friction Materials and they riveted new material to them. Here it is suspended for easier access.

Inside looks pretty good considering the location of where it was abused. J.B.L.M. in Lakewood Wa.

I found a heavy duty trailer shop in the port of Tacoma that sold me some replacement return springs. They are just as strong as the originals. They also supplied me with new hub caps so the spindle nuts wouldn't be exposed.

This is before I cleaned up the inside of the drum. The hub was devoid of any grease. I guess the Mfgr. put just enough on the bearings to keep them from rusting.

This is after punching out the inner bearing, cleaning the friction surface and adding the correct amount of grease.

Shoes and springs installed. The silver springs are spares I have in an assortment box. I thought they would help bring the shoes back together. You can also see the new hub cap installed. Look at the 4 o'clock position behind the back plate. That is the brake arm. I also took them apart and made them point to the 5 o'clock position. The cables adjustments and hand lever were all out of whack.

Here is the hub, properly packed just before installation. I know that the machine is not to be towed over 20 M.'s P.H. and that it will never be towed very far but, Ya' just gotta do the job right if you're gonna do it at all. :wink:

I took the hand brake lever apart and had to straighten out one of the cables. Someone had tried to force it several times and bent it. With some heat and twisting, it went right back into shape. I then lubricated both cables with A.T.F. and installed the assembly back into place. I was running out of daylight, so no photos of that part of the exercise. Now the Air Compressor stays put with the brake assembly. Next is a complete fluid and filter change. Thanks for looking.

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:56 pm

Early last week I wanted some Diesel Fuel to mix with some A.T.F. to put into the cylinders in the Weasel. I thought, why not get some from the MC-2A? I opened the drain-cock and some very interesting yellowish colored goo came out first. As I continued to remove fuel it became a bit more clear, but still stayed bright yellow. It had to have been JP-8.
I wanted to do a major fluid change out, so I started by draining the fuel. It was really really old, perhaps three or four years old. I didn't take any photos of this exercise, I didn't want to kill my camera with Diesel covered fingers. I did however take photos of today's efforts. Oil and filter change. I wrote the numbers down from the existing filters and went to find some new ones. I saw several videos of guys cutting open oil and fuel filters and Wix brand looks to be the best on the market right now.

Here are the new filters, Engine Oil, Fuel/Water Separator and Hydraulic Oil.

I had to use a strap wrench to get this filter off. I wound up cutting my left arm to shreds on a clip when it finally broke loose :evil: . I'm tired of getting cut by these old rusty pieces of junk. Good thing I received a new Tetanus shot earlier this year!!

Fuel/Water Separator and Hydraulic filters, installed.

Here we are having returned from the gas station. Caterpillar has a motto on all of their fuel tanks. "Use only Fresh Clean Diesel Fuel".

After installing the battery, I removed this little vent screw. I had called Pintlehook11over for some advice on diesel fuel systems, as I have very little experience with them, and He helped quite a bit. I pushed the Fuel Bypass button to energize the fuel pump to bleed the system. I replaced it when the fuel started coming out.

I also loosened the injector line to allow the air to escape there as well, then tightened it back up.

I pushed the start and bypass buttons and the engine came to life. It made instant oil pressure and ran a lot more smoothly with the new fuel. I read in the Technical Order that the engine will produce a bit more horsepower on Diesel than JP-8. Cody explained that Diesel has a higher Cetane value. I'll read up more on that later.

After 5 minutes of warm up run time I engaged the air system and it made this operating pressures.

Next thing to do will be to remove the enclosure, sandblast and paint it. But that is for next Spring. Thanks for looking.

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:31 pm

I performed some more maintenance on the MC-2A today. I didn't like the "oil" pressure gauge that some lunkhead had installed. I am sure that some of you guys happened to notice that it is in fact an AIR pressure gauge. Well, I was a bit bored today and it had to go! I picked up a replacement from the auto parts store and installed it. They both indicated the same pressure when the device was under operation.

Stupid Air Pressure Gauge!!

Nice replacement... And it even matches the faces of the two main air pressure gauges.

Another thing that was annoying, was that the injector was weeping Diesel fuel at the base. I had removed it once before to inspect what the cause may have been, but put it back when I couldn't find it. I am not a Diesel mech., but after seeing Diesel dripping onto the ground while it was operating today, warranted another look. I removed the injector and looked at more closely and there I saw an "O" ring. It appeared to too small and was most likely the cause of the leak.

The black ring was the one that was allowing the leak. I installed the tan one and the leak stopped. I ran the engine for another 20 minutes again to monitor the injector. The leak was gone.

I will be keeping an eye on this work as I operate the device more in the future. You can barely see the new "O" ring in place at the base of the injector.

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:11 pm

I made a video of this air compressor operating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xyf3Upl-J0.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:38 pm

Hello,

Excellent video on it working again! It is great project you have right there !
I am sure that unit will come in very handy for sandblasting or painting.

I appreciate the fact that you have rescued this abused piece of once taxpayer owned
equipment and will now put it to good and productive work :D :D :D

It is amazing that it was neglected the way it was by people
who were in the maintenance business !!!
One would think that the Commanding Officer would be keen to keep all his
equipment in tip top shape at all times.

Thanks for posting,
Ray

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:01 am

Ray, You're awesome brother! Thanks for speaking up about your belief and opinion, I concur. I want to purchase a blast cabinet for cleaning parts and what-not and this compressor will operate one just fine.

primal4x4
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by primal4x4 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:55 am

Dave, Great thread. You inspired me to get mine running, followed your video tutorial...and as of today it is running. :D So excited to use it for sand blasting.
Ed Bateman

- If posted pictures don't show they can are found here: https://imageevent.com/primal4x4

primal4x4

Post by primal4x4 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:37 pm

Well, run it for about an hour today, using it to sand blast a '41 command car frame. It produced 150 psi and I set the line at 110 psi. I could run air wide open for about 2 minutes then let it catch up for about 15 seconds which is perfect for looking over the work. What a thrill.

I bought it maybe four years ago and two years ago Dave stopped by and said "Dude, you need to get that thing working." Silly me, It continued to sit in the shipping container until now. Thanks, bud. It will be my best tool for my COVID project, a '41 w/o winch CC, which has also been sitting around to long.

https://imageevent.com/primal4x4/vehicl ... compressor
Ed Bateman

- If posted pictures don't show they can are found here: https://imageevent.com/primal4x4

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:48 pm

Thanks Ed, I was inspired to purchase mine because of your MC-2A. I hope you get hours and hours of great use and enjoyment from it. I am a little envious, in a friendly way, 'cause yours is in much better condition than mine. :wink:

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:01 pm

So, I'm still figuring this machine out as I go along. The charging system has been inoperable since I brought it home. It is an integral part of the health of the compressor. It operates the emergency shut down relay, the fuel pump and the electric cooling fan. If the battery runs too low of a charge, the fan won't cool the engine and compressor oil which will result in severe damage to both.
I read through the Technical Order to find where the problem lay. I also found some info on YouTube about rectifier/regulators and oddly enough found the exact same one still available for $37.00 U.D., I purchased two.

I swapped the R/R that was original to the assembly, yet still no electrical current.

So I started to inspect the alternator to see how it came apart. The rotor slid right off the shaft without difficulty and I observed that it had some light surface rust. So I cleaned it up on my bench grinder/wire wheel. Sorry no photo of it polished.

I then inspected the field coil and found the same rust. Again no photo of it clean.

Upon further inspection, I found the wires to be crispified and were without any insulation. They had to cut back and re-soldered to the output terminals of the field coil. Again sorry, no photo of the repaired solder work. At this point, the battery was still attached the electrical system and I saw a little spark when I first started to clean the rust off with a small rotary wire brush. I disconnected the ground lead.

After all of this work I started the unit up but the charging system failed to produce a charge to the battery. I stopped at this point as it was getting late and the sun was setting over 2MARDIV PACNORWES MoT REPDEP. The next thing to do is to pull the Ammeter and test it for continuity. If that doesn't work, I don't know what I'll try next.
Anyway, thanks for looking.

SHADOWGUNNER
G-Civilian

Post by SHADOWGUNNER » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:50 am

Your efforts will help immeasurably.
Our local air museum has two of these.
One running, one inop, but we are trying to find a RR for both.
Both MC-2As had the RR ripped out.
Could you share your source for the Rectifier Regulator you found?
Much appreciated.
Keep up the good work.

Thanks in advance

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:25 am

ShadowGunner, PM me with your cell number, the best time to call and I'll do my best to help out. I did purchase 2 R/R's when I found them, so finding the same one for you will be a snap and I think that they were around $25.00 each. Sorry it tool so long for me to get back with you, I had thought that my thread had moved into obscurity. Dave.

Return to “Willys Go Devil Engine Based GENERATOR SETS and COMPRESSORS(Includes Hobart Bros. & other GenSets)”