Foreign Titles

Discussion of Local, State, and Federal issues regarding MV Legislation, MV use restrictions, MV registration refusals, etc. As these issues may ultimately affect other jurisdictions, information and education of all MV owners is crucial for the future ownership and use of our MVs.
This is not a board for Political discussion.
This is not a Q&A Forum on how to title or register a MV.
halifaxgroup
G-Captain
G-Captain

Foreign Titles

Post by halifaxgroup » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:11 pm

If you live in Texas and have ever considered importing an MV such as a CCKW, Diamond T, Kenworth, Corbitt or any vehicle with a foreign title and that will need to go on a large low boy trailer, think real hard. The requirements are dictatorial, unreasonable and never ending. Perhaps other States are easier. Paul
1944 WC51
1944 WC62
1943 M-20
1943 Ben Hur
1943 Water Ben Hur
1944 M51 Quad Mount Trailer
1944 M5A1 Stuart
1943 352 CCKW
1944 Corbitt 6 Ton
1944 M16 Halftrack

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Re: Foreign Titles

Post by Bill H. » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:06 am

I would imagine California would or could be much worse.
Bill H.

"Each shall seek his own kind, in other words, a bird may love a fish but where would they build a home together?" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

2 Timothy 3:1-5

Blitzdough
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Blitzdough » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:24 am

Are the problems due to the foreign title, or the size / weight of the vehicle? ( or both?)

halifaxgroup
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by halifaxgroup » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:32 am

Short answer:

A royal pain in the ass, and very expensive.

Long answer:

1943 Diamond T Wrecker arrives in Galveston, Texas from Holland on December 21st. Released by Customs on the 24th. Trucker must go get it on Christmas Eve. Galveston is 145 miles from here. Wrecker won't start in yard. Large vehicles are Roll On Roll Off. Dock workers bring a charging tug. Hmm military vehicles are 24v right. Now truck really won't run, smells like......bacon? Pushed on trailer. Get here, pull it off with the forklift, use a large 4WD john Deere to push into the shop.

It takes me a week to get it to run. Besides electrical problems, needle valve in carb is stuck. Runs now, but off of a 5 gallon gas can since original tank leaks and is corroded really bad inside.

In Texas all vehicles brought in from overseas must have law enforcement certify the VIN number for tile transfer (Form 68A). I drove to the sheriff's office, they had no idea what I was talking about. They told me to call the State Police headquarters. They had no idea what I was talking about. They told me to call the local State Police barracks, they had no idea what I was talking about. I am dead serious it took me almost two hours on the internet and at least 4 additional phone calls to find a place in Dallas that does this. Dallas is about 185 miles away from me. They told me the Sheriff in Conroe does the certification. Great only 75 miles away. I call them to verify they will certify the VIN. Yes but only on Tuesdays between 0900-1130 hours and 1330-1530 hours. Trucker not available for a week so I remain patient. Second road trip for the wrecker on a trailer in Texas. Sheriff's office in Conroe is great. Although we were early, they did it immediately, took 10 minutes.

Next day go to Tax Office with every form filled out. Texas will not accept the foreign title for transfer. It has to be translated and certified. I was able to find a firm in Dallas that did a perfect translation, even went as far as duplicating the document including the images. They sent it to me electronically. I printed it out and go back to the Tax office. It was refused. Not an original. Keep in mine, each page was certified as was a title page certifying the translation. When I asked them what is the difference between, the translation company printing it and mailing it to me or me printing it they said mine was not an original(?). So I asked the translation company to print it out on their printer, have it notarized and send it Express Mail. They said it is not required but did it anyway (for an additional fee). When I did get back to the Tax office I handed then the sealed envelope so there would be no question where it came from.

Texas would not accept the weight on the foreign title since it was in kilograms. ( Why didn't they tell me last trip?) When I filled out the Texas form for transfer I simply converted it to pounds. Not acceptable. I show them how it is done on a cell phone, not acceptable. When I showed them the original four page document from Customs/Homeland Security (Blue ink, stamps everywhere, etc.) which verified the weight in pounds, it was unacceptable. They almost laughed when I showed them the photocopy of the TM9 showing the weight. So you have to get it weighed. Need to get a tractor trailer (third time) to take it to the farmers coop to get weighed. I decided it would be far cheaper to have it towed. But then I remembered there is a concrete company about 2.5 miles west so I called them and they said I could drive it over, no cost to weigh. So I did.

I go back to the Tax office everything in hand, supervisor accepts everything. I then ask them why they accept the calculation of euros to dollars for the transfer but would not accept a calculation on the weight? She said, "Rules". I asked her if I could see the manual with the Rules, and she walked away.

Then they charges me a late fee since I did not get the transfer done in 30 days from the 21st! (Remember it took 3 days to clear Customs Christmas week.) Considering all of the criteria required in a short time frame, could that be forgiven, the answer was fast and firm, "I'm not loosing my job because of you."
1944 WC51
1944 WC62
1943 M-20
1943 Ben Hur
1943 Water Ben Hur
1944 M51 Quad Mount Trailer
1944 M5A1 Stuart
1943 352 CCKW
1944 Corbitt 6 Ton
1944 M16 Halftrack

Blitzdough
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Blitzdough » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:03 am

Wow, sorry to hear that. I hope the diamond T will everything you want it to be!

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:23 am

Paul, we have a mutual friend that refers to the BMV as "The Bureau of Angry Black Women"
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

halifaxgroup
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by halifaxgroup » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:38 pm

Copy that
1944 WC51
1944 WC62
1943 M-20