Maryland Military Vehicle law

Discussion of Local, State, and Federal issues regarding MV Legislation, MV use restrictions, MV registration refusals, etc. As these issues may ultimately affect other jurisdictions, information and education of all MV owners is crucial for the future ownership and use of our MVs.
This is not a board for Political discussion.
This is not a Q&A Forum on how to title or register a MV.
Lionel
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: Maryland Military Vehicle law

Post by Lionel » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:59 am

Agreed, They seem to have more of a national focus than a local one. In fact, although I reached out to the Md. chapter, I received no response. Not sure how deep the Association pockets are, but I'm not going to hold my breath for them to provide a lobbyist or anything other than guidance. I don't think the HMMWV, LMTV and HEMMT hobbyists can afford to wait and hope. What I've tried to explain to them is that they seem to be looking more at the heavy trucks, 2-1/2 & 5 tons, big wreckers, etc., so this will definitely impact some of the older trucks as well. Onward and upward.
Retired War Horses wrote:There needs to be more then Guidance on these issues...the club has to have a purpose, one of these purposes is working possible legislation that would directly impact the clubs reason for existence.
In Calif we have the CRPA, Calif rifle and pistol assoc, they are the ones "not the NRA" that fight Sacramento via the courts and legal briefs on the gun legislation.
1994 HMMWV M998A1
1995 HMMWV M1025A2 GMV
2002 HMMWV M1024A2 GMV
2001 HMMWV M1043A2
2001 HMMWV M1123
2000 JD M-Gator
2001 Kawasaki M1030B1 (650)
2000 Kawasaki M1030M1

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:36 am

Lionel,

This sounds like two separate issues. The first is that it's a former military vehicle, which doesn't seem like a problem in Maryland, historically. The second seems to be the missing paperwork, and this is not a problem specific to former military vehicles - it happens to civilian vehicles all the time.

Say your Uncle Eddie dies and leaves a car, but nobody can find his title. At least here in Wisconsin, one could "bond" for a title. It's essentially an insurance policy to cover losses in the event a prior owner comes forward with legit ownership documents. (Incidentally, an auto title bond is one of the cheapest and most sure policies available. Virtually nobody claims a loss from an auto title bond.) It could also be used if you bought a "parts car" with a Bill of Sale only, which you wanted to restore and put back on the road.

My point is that a missing title or ownership document usually does not mean that a title cannot be generated. There is usually a procedure to do so. If Maryland law or DMV policy does not provide for title bonding, perhaps that needs to be addressed.

My understanding of the national MVPA is that they can provide suggestions for what other states have done, but prefer to leave the individual states to deal with their own laws. Since each states' legislators really only care about their constituents' input, the national MVPA can't really bring much pressure to an issue within a particular state. But they can give you valid ideas to implement within your state.
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1976 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 712M
M-416 Trailer (behind Pinzgauer)
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Info on Legislation at: http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lionel
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Lionel » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:30 am

Understood and I agree on the separate issues. I'm in a kind of holding pattern right now and will wait and see what, if anything happens. My State police contact will keep me informed of any policy shifts that may be in the works, and I'm not in the habit of trying to fix things that aren't broken.
1994 HMMWV M998A1
1995 HMMWV M1025A2 GMV
2002 HMMWV M1024A2 GMV
2001 HMMWV M1043A2
2001 HMMWV M1123
2000 JD M-Gator
2001 Kawasaki M1030B1 (650)
2000 Kawasaki M1030M1

Return to “Legislative Issues”