Hummer titling

Discussion of Local, State, and Federal issues regarding MV Legislation, MV use restrictions, MV registration refusals, etc. As these issues may ultimately affect other jurisdictions, information and education of all MV owners is crucial for the future ownership and use of our MVs.
This is not a board for Political discussion.
This is not a Q&A Forum on how to title or register a MV.
Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Hummer titling

Post by Ted Gates » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:50 pm

Made it to floor and 3 readings from my understanding.

Lazboytt
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Lazboytt » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:29 pm

Still shows in the house. Talked to state rep earlier today which said it should be on the floor tomorrow

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(owfxcwrzpj1tmhcpwrioaqzo))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2018-SB-1040

Lazboytt
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Lazboytt » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:30 pm

The bill has now passed the house and will go for printing and signing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Ted Gates » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:49 am

Awesome.

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:33 am

S.B.1040 has now passed the House 106 yeas and 3 nays. Now the bill moves to the governor for signing. We urge everyone to contact Governor Rick Snyder at governorsoffice@michigan.gov or by phone at 517-373-3400 to offer full support of S.B. 1040 which will allow for registering of surplus military vehicles here in Michigan.
Posted on behalf of the Michigan members.
The more members we have, the better prepared we can be to continue winning legislative battles in other states.
JOIN!
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

Old Dodge Guy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:53 am

looks like the Governor vetoed the bill.
From SEMA
Legislation (S.B. 1040) that would have allowed for the registration of a “military surplus vehicle” as an “historic vehicle” was vetoed by outgoing Governor Rick Snyder. “Historic vehicle" means a vehicle that is over 25 years old, owned solely as a collector's item and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, including mechanical testing, but is not used for general transportation. Use of the vehicle during the month of August in each year is considered an exhibition.

In announcing his decision to veto the legislation, Governor Snyder explained that military surplus vehicles were not manufactured for on-road use and should be restricted to off-road purposes.

Thank you for voicing support on this bill.
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

Lazboytt
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Lazboytt » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:02 am

Hello that is correct. Most likely due to lame duck season. We have a new senator that will be submitting a new bill. Plus we have the new governor so keep our fingers crossed.

Old Dodge Guy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:14 am

Legislation (S.B. 1040) that would have allowed for the registration of a “military surplus vehicle” as an “historic vehicle” was vetoed by outgoing Governor Rick Snyder. “Historic vehicle" means a vehicle that is over 25 years old, owned solely as a collector's item and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, including mechanical testing, but is not used for general transportation. Use of the vehicle during the month of August in each year is considered an exhibition.

In announcing his decision to veto the legislation, Governor Snyder explained that military surplus vehicles were not manufactured for on-road use and should be restricted to off-road purposes.

Thank you for voicing support on this bill.
AGAIN.....I SEE NO PROVISION FOR EVERYDAY USE CATEGORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I CAN NOT STATE THIS ENOUGH!!!!
I can not and .....WILL NOT...... support ANY bill, anywhere, any time, that does not cover this. I personally will work against any bill that does not cover everyday use and urgently ask all of you to do the same. Please let SEMA understand this also.......I DO!!!!!

Also, please note this.....
....this phrase is gaining usage all over the USA with the various DMV's. We are all looking at a huge problem in the future. Unless we all work together, we will lose the usage of our vehicles in ANY form. Our Jeeps, Dodges, GMC's and others all could be lost. Just because they are ex-military vehicles and now for "off road use only".

MVPA, please pay attention to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lazboytt
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Lazboytt » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:20 am

The bill was designed for regular on road use. understanding the motor vehicle code act and how information flows through the Michigan vehicle code act is the key. That is the same concern that the secretary of state had during the transportation committee meetings when they tried to oppose the bill, stating this would allow for registration however. The new revised bill also incorporates the information under the motor vehicle definition which will also guarantee on road used registration. The bill had multiple functions seem does the new bill which has multiple functions. Just because you see a definition under historic does not mean other portions do not flow through the motor vehicle code act.

Old Dodge Guy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:34 am

Thank you for the quick reply.
No offense is meant to you here, but I am a blunt person. I mean no ill will, or bad intention, but I am from Missouri. Please show me that in writing. Having worked some with the "congress critter" crowd, unless I see it in writing, with an endorsement from the Pope or Higher, I won't believe it. I MAY not believe it then. Way to many times I have been told that something is the way described, only to find out ....too late....that I have been sold a fairy tale.
Seeing is............closer.............to believing. Sort of :lol:
Again, no offense meant and thank you :)

Lazboytt
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Lazboytt » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:40 am

It’s completely understandable. No offense taken. Just because a bill is designed one way when it gets in the process other people get their hands on things and could try to change things as is what happened with the previous bill but we insured that it still keept it’s original intensions, specifically with two different definitions. This go-round we incorporated also into the motor vehicle definition for registration purposes as a safeguard that way nobody can Try and come up with their policies and procedures yet again. This way it is in law once passed to safeguard the drab green community in Michigan.

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:10 am

I am sorry to hear this. I know the folks in Michigan devoted hundreds of hours to get this passed.
Old Dodge Guy: I appreciate your passion for this and agree that legislation can be slippery. Please know that the MVPA has been active in winning against rogue DMVs in Kansas, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana. The last three within this past year.
WE NEED MEMBERS!
Thousands of HMV owners sit on the sidelines with their head in the sand. They can afford a $100.00 minimum for one fill up of fuel; but will NOT join the MVPA because of some little excuse or another. The fewer members we have the more likely we will lose more of these fights.
WAKE UP FOLKS!
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

Thomas Romine
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Thomas Romine » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:21 am

Kevin Lockwood wrote:I am sorry to hear this. I know the folks in Michigan devoted hundreds of hours to get this passed.
Old Dodge Guy: I appreciate your passion for this and agree that legislation can be slippery. Please know that the MVPA has been active in winning against rogue DMVs in Kansas, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana. The last three within this past year.
WE NEED MEMBERS!
Thousands of HMV owners sit on the sidelines with their head in the sand. They can afford a $100.00 minimum for one fill up of fuel; but will NOT join the MVPA because of some little excuse or another. The fewer members we have the more likely we will lose more of these fights.
WAKE UP FOLKS!
Kevin Thank You

This fight is not over in Michigan. We are going keep working on this, but everyone needs to step up and make their voices heard. If they don't, nothing is going to change.

Tom Romine
GLMVPA
Vice President

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

MVPA 21751/GLMVPA
'45 MB Serial Number Unknown/Body 215953
'45 MB432364/Body 217478 Approx DOD 4-4-45

Lazboytt
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Lazboytt » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:27 am

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:44 pm

In Missouri, the Legislature can override a Governor's veto with enough votes, I don't know if this is an option in Michigan, or if there is enough support to do so.
Roy

Return to “Legislative Issues”