Hummer titling

Discussion of Local, State, and Federal issues regarding MV Legislation, MV use restrictions, MV registration refusals, etc. As these issues may ultimately affect other jurisdictions, information and education of all MV owners is crucial for the future ownership and use of our MVs.
This is not a board for Political discussion.
This is not a Q&A Forum on how to title or register a MV.
User avatar
DaninNM
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:29 am
Location: sunny SW
Contact:

Re: Hummer titling

Post by DaninNM » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:20 am

That's because the liberals in Kalifornia .......rest deleted by author.....any person without the mental disorder called liberalism can fill in the missing part.
reenacting and WWII history

Lazboytt
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:00 pm

Re: Hummer titling

Post by Lazboytt » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:42 am

Michigan now has a legislation in process to allow for titling S.B. 1040

Looking for support from people to send e mail in support of the Michigan Legislation S.B. 1040 to allow for registration of Surplus Military vehicles. . You can click the link on the SEMA site to contact law makers. It will open up your e mail and have all the e mail addresses in place.
They give bullet points on SEMA's site that you can add to the e mail or just send e mail stating that you are in full support of the bill.
Doesn't matter if you are not in Michigan. Once we get the Motor City Capital of the world on board perhaps other states will follow.

Any help would be appreciated
We can win!

http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa2018MI6&g=SEMAGA

User avatar
rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:07 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: Hummer titling

Post by rondo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:24 am

In Idaho we were successful in getting legislation passed to title military vehicles. It was a combined effort but not a coordinated one. The local military vehicle club members had the most to do with it. It still blows my mind that there are so many owners in Idaho who are not members of the IMVPA. it's a great group. So my advice is get everyone on board with ONE voice under one banner.

I was President of the IMVPA for 2 years. I met with our state rep on this issue and built our case. Then my military obligation took me out of state so all I could do is monitor the transcripts of the testimony. But I dare say that the real reason we got this passed was that one of our members retired from the Dept of Trans - Senior Executive Service. He spoke to the legislature about data and facts. His testimony was articulate, intelligent, and his resume lent credibility. I was also surprised at how little the lawmakers really knew about these vehicles. Part of what carried the day was when he reminded them that the military created these vehicles to be safe, and to be used on the highways with turn signals, brake lights etc. This is about conveying information to lawmakers so they can make a decision.

Be careful not to focus the case in your state on only patriotism, emotion, parades, etc. While all of that is worthwhile, what you DO NOT want is a parade only plate! That doesn't give you the FREEDOM of enjoying your vehicle year around, ability to drive and maintain it properly, etc. I would say focus on safety. I would also suggest involving SEMA.
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

Lazboytt
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:00 pm

Re: Hummer titling

Post by Lazboytt » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:38 am

rondo wrote:In Idaho we were successful in getting legislation passed to title military vehicles. It was a combined effort but not a coordinated one. The local military vehicle club members had the most to do with it. It still blows my mind that there are so many owners in Idaho who are not members of the IMVPA. it's a great group. So my advice is get everyone on board with ONE voice under one banner.

I was President of the IMVPA for 2 years. I met with our state rep on this issue and built our case. Then my military obligation took me out of state so all I could do is monitor the transcripts of the testimony. But I dare say that the real reason we got this passed was that one of our members retired from the Dept of Trans - Senior Executive Service. He spoke to the legislature about data and facts. His testimony was articulate, intelligent, and his resume lent credibility. I was also surprised at how little the lawmakers really knew about these vehicles. Part of what carried the day was when he reminded them that the military created these vehicles to be safe, and to be used on the highways with turn signals, brake lights etc. This is about conveying information to lawmakers so they can make a decision.

Be careful not to focus the case in your state on only patriotism, emotion, parades, etc. While all of that is worthwhile, what you DO NOT want is a parade only plate! That doesn't give you the FREEDOM of enjoying your vehicle year around, ability to drive and maintain it properly, etc. I would say focus on safety. I would also suggest involving SEMA.

Thank you for the great information. SEMA was already contacted and they have the link on their site as well. If everything goes as planned you should be able to title both as historic or normal. This is a very simple bill what it does is it adds two definitions which should in turn carry through the whole motor vehicle code act in Michigan.

Here is the link to SEMA
http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa2018MI6&g=SEMAGA

Any support is appreciated.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:45 am
Location: Northern Calif
Contact:

Re: Hummer titling

Post by Retired War Horses » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:38 am

Says “if the vehicle meets all safety and emissions standards”, do you see this as a major Hurdle?
Do they recognize the federal emissions exemption? Do you recognize Mil-std 1188 For FMVSS?
Retired War Horses Restoration

Call us for all your HMMWV parts, service, upgrades and conversion needs.


Old Dodge Guy
G-Captain
G-Captain
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:54 am
Location: Very far Northwest Missouri

Re: Hummer titling

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:54 am

Lazboytt wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:38 am
If everything goes as planned you should be able to title both as historic or normal. This is a very simple bill what it does is it adds two definitions which should in turn carry through the whole motor vehicle code act in Michigan.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wish to very MUCH emphasize this point! Make sure there is a clause for those of us that USE our vehicles on a daily basis and not force us into the parade only class. It is perfectly fine for those of you who are content with that restriction, I have no problem with you using these as show only vehicles. BUT! do not lump us users into that same happy camp! We will not fit your happy category! With support divided along those lines, you may lose your way with internal bickering and lose the bill.
Please include everyone!

BTW, this was not intended just for the one state..................this was to include ALL states fighting this problem. Please include SEMA in this discussion so they do not support the "show only" usage.
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

Lazboytt
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:00 pm

Re: Hummer titling

Post by Lazboytt » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:54 pm

Old Dodge Guy wrote:
Lazboytt wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:38 am
If everything goes as planned you should be able to title both as historic or normal. This is a very simple bill what it does is it adds two definitions which should in turn carry through the whole motor vehicle code act in Michigan.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wish to very MUCH emphasize this point! Make sure there is a clause for those of us that USE our vehicles on a daily basis and not force us into the parade only class. It is perfectly fine for those of you who are content with that restriction, I have no problem with you using these as show only vehicles. BUT! do not lump us users into that same happy camp! We will not fit your happy category! With support divided along those lines, you may lose your way with internal bickering and lose the bill.
Please include everyone!

BTW, this was not intended just for the one state..................this was to include ALL states fighting this problem. Please include SEMA in this discussion so they do not support the "show only" usage.
The bill has two definitions one for historic and one for surplus military vehicles the surplus military vehicle definition should intern Carey through the whole motor vehicle Code act


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Posts: 5167
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:00 pm

Re: Hummer titling

Post by Chuck W. » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:19 pm

Legislation (S.B. 1040) allows for the registration of a “Military Surplus Vehicle” as a “historic vehicle.” “Historic vehicle" means a vehicle that is over 25 years old, and that is owned solely as a collector's item and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, including mechanical testing, but is not used for general transportation. Use of the vehicle during the month of August in each year is considered an exhibition. The bill has been referred to the Senate Transportation Committee.
What a great deal!
The bill has two definitions one for historic and one for surplus military vehicles the surplus military vehicle definition should intern Carey through the whole motor vehicle Code act
Where? I don't see two definitions.

Lazboytt
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:00 pm

Re: Hummer titling

Post by Lazboytt » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:13 pm

Chuck W. wrote:
Legislation (S.B. 1040) allows for the registration of a “Military Surplus Vehicle” as a “historic vehicle.” “Historic vehicle" means a vehicle that is over 25 years old, and that is owned solely as a collector's item and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, including mechanical testing, but is not used for general transportation. Use of the vehicle during the month of August in each year is considered an exhibition. The bill has been referred to the Senate Transportation Committee.
What a great deal!
The bill has two definitions one for historic and one for surplus military vehicles the surplus military vehicle definition should intern Carey through the whole motor vehicle Code act
Where? I don't see two definitions.

Sec. 20a. "Historic vehicle" means a vehicle that is over 25 years old, and that is owned solely as a collector's item and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, including mechanical testing, but is not used for general transportation. For purposes of this section, use of the vehicle during the month of August in each year is considered an exhibition. HISTORIC VEHICLE INCLUDES A MILITARY SURPLUS VEHICLE THAT IS OVER 25 YEARS OLD.




SEC. 30D. "MILITARY SURPLUS VEHICLE" MEANS A HIGH MOBILITY, MULTIPURPOSE WHEELED VEHICLE OR A MOTOR VEHICLE MANUFACTURED FOR MILITARY USAGE THAT WAS MANUFACTURED BY OR UNDER THE DIRECTION OF THE UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES OR THE ARMED FORCES OF ANY OTHER COUNTRY AND WAS SUBSEQUENTLY AUTHORIZED FOR SALE TO CIVILIANS.
MILITARY SURPLUS VEHICLE DOES NOT INCLUDE A TRACKED VEHICLE OR A
HALF-TRACKED VEHICLE.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Dodge Guy
G-Captain
G-Captain
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:54 am
Location: Very far Northwest Missouri

Re: Hummer titling

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:34 pm

Hmmm, I don't see a clear definition for a daily user there. I see a definition, but not the ability to title and use as a regular use vehicle.
Remember, if you think WE are splitting hairs in this forum, wait until you go to DMV!

DMV clerk.......
I am sorry sir, that definition does not let you drive that military vehicle in everyday use, you MUST only drive it to shows or collector purposes. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Posts: 5167
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:00 pm

Re: Hummer titling

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:27 pm

HISTORIC VEHICLE INCLUDES A MILITARY SURPLUS VEHICLE THAT IS OVER 25 YEARS OLD.
Sec. 20a. "Historic vehicle" means a vehicle that is over 25 years old, and that is owned solely as a collector's item and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, including mechanical testing, but is not used for general transportation.
SEC. 30D. "MILITARY SURPLUS VEHICLE" MEANS A HIGH MOBILITY, MULTIPURPOSE WHEELED VEHICLE OR A MOTOR VEHICLE MANUFACTURED FOR MILITARY USAGE THAT WAS MANUFACTURED BY OR UNDER THE DIRECTION OF THE UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES OR THE ARMED FORCES OF ANY OTHER COUNTRY AND WAS SUBSEQUENTLY AUTHORIZED FOR SALE TO CIVILIANS.
Clear as mud!

Lazboytt
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:00 pm

Re: Hummer titling

Post by Lazboytt » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:54 pm

Old Dodge Guy wrote:Hmmm, I don't see a clear definition for a daily user there. I see a definition, but not the ability to title and use as a regular use vehicle.
Remember, if you think WE are splitting hairs in this forum, wait until you go to DMV!

DMV clerk.......
I am sorry sir, that definition does not let you drive that military vehicle in everyday use, you MUST only drive it to shows or collector purposes. :roll: :roll: :roll:
You have to remember that definitions are at the beginning of the motor vehicle code act and flow threw the whole vehicle code.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply

Return to “Legislative Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest