Replacing oil lines, do I need to remove fuel pump?

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
Kaiser Krazy
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Replacing oil lines, do I need to remove fuel pump?

Post by Kaiser Krazy » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:44 am

Replacing oil lines and cleaning up jr canister and the long oil line leaves the canister and works it's way down to the fuel pump, radiator hose area and it gets tight down there. Do I need to remove the fule pump to get to the oil line to block connection? Reading about fuel pump removal scares me a little. Any tips or advice appreciated. Also, presume I have to attach the oil line to the canister first as it is not a "slip" fitting as it is on the other end and the two ends of the shorter line. Correct? The old lines were cracked, so I just cut them off before removing canister, so now I'm committed to replacing them.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: Replacing oil lines, do I need to remove fuel pump?

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:03 am

My tip: pull out your TM and read it and learn how your engine oiling and fuel system works. Every MV owner must know how to change oil lines and fuel pumps.
Your oil lines do not attach to the fuel pump; they go to a fitting in the block, super close to it. So, yes, you will have to remove the pump to attach the oil line to the block fitting.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Kaiser Krazy
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: Replacing oil lines, do I need to remove fuel pump?

Post by Kaiser Krazy » Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:18 pm

TO THE WORKSHOP!!!

Thank you.

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”