M38A1 Still not running

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
DaytonM38A1
G-Private
G-Private

M38A1 Still not running

Post by DaytonM38A1 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:27 pm

Hey Everyone, it's been awhile since my original post. I continued to look over everything and everything was indeed correct. I took the weights out of the distributor, drilled out the holes, and made bushings so every thing would be more solid and not loose. I've made a lot of progress since then by changing bushings out in the distributor as well. Now it will crank and idle perfect for about 10 seconds the it dies. You cannot try to give it any gas or it'll die. The distributor gets hot pretty fast but I don't know if that is normal? Any input on what the problem could be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: M38A1 Still not running

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:50 am

It's a fuel problem. Check your carb bowl after those ten seconds. Or spray a shot of starting fluid in it and see it if will keep running. I bet it will.
Also, do you have a new Chinese coil? If so, those heat up and die sometimes. 24 volt.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

KiwiMB
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by KiwiMB » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:53 pm

I'm not convinced it a carb/fuel problem. If however DCPD's suggestion of starting fluid keeps it running then I will stand corrected. If it idles and you give it gas, and slightly pull the choke, will the engine rev up at all? If yes, then it does rather point to fuel..... but not necessarily.

If it starts and idles nicely then it probably rules out timing and firing order as the root cause of your problem. I cannot comment on the coil heating up, as I don't have an original sealed distributor. However, I have an MB & M38a1, in both cases when rebuilding the engines I installed complete new distributors. I BOTH cases after a couple of thousand miles I had the exact symptom you describe. In BOTH cases the condensor was faulty thus not delivering a strong enough spark to effectively ignite the air/fuel mix. When you try to rev the engine from idle does it simply die, or does it cough, run rough and die. If yes, that I believe you have a condenser problem.

Don't panic if you dont have a spare one, the original one out of the distributor and go to NAPA, get one that is dimensionally similar to yours and try it. If it fixes your problem, then buy the real deal from Ron at G503.

Cheers

Ian
Ian J
New Zealand
1941 Willys MB
1953 M38A1 Nekaf
1998 Land Rover Wolf 90

DaytonM38A1
G-Private
G-Private

Post by DaytonM38A1 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:31 pm

Thanks for the info, I haven't got to work on it since the post but should be able to get back to it soon. However while working on it I replaced the coil ( ordered from Kiser Willis I don't know where it was made but I'll check ) , condenser, and the points in the distributor it also has a new voltage regulator plug wires and new plugs. I'll try you guy's suggestions and let you all know the outcome. Thanks

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”