M38A1 not starting after rebuild

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
DaytonM38A1
G-Private
G-Private

M38A1 not starting after rebuild

Post by DaytonM38A1 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:52 pm

Hey guys I have a 1954 Willys M38A1. I just finished rebuilding the engine and it will not crank. It seems like the firing is off we’ve double checked all the gapping, took the timing gear cover back off and verified all was correct the only thing I have not replaced is the weights in the distributor they seem to be wore very bad. The holes in the weights are egg shaped and the springs seem pretty loose, could this keep it from starting? If not I’ll try anything thanks

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: M38A1 not starting after rebuild

Post by dpcd67 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:55 am

First post I see; welcome to the G503 Forum. I am not the welcoming committee though.
That won't keep it from starting, but it sounds like your timing is way off. Check TDC again and make sure the points are just closing at the right place. And the wires are going to the right plugs.
I do not own a timing light; I time everything by ear and vacuum gauge. And my rebuilds always start.
We get this same question once a month. It is from one assembly detail missed. Oil pump, timing gear/sprocket, valves too tight; etc. Go over it again, with your TM. There is a GPW engine on the WW2 page; same thing. Maybe Someone in Louisiana can help you. Or maybe you can go over to Ark and help that guy with the Ford.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

DaytonM38A1
G-Private
G-Private

Post by DaytonM38A1 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:12 am

Thank you, that rules that one out, I'm going to check every thing again and see what I overlooked.

KiwiMB
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by KiwiMB » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:35 pm

Hiya,
for clarity, the spark occurs just when the points open, not when they close.
Cheers

Ian
Ian J
New Zealand
1941 Willys MB
1953 M38A1 Nekaf
1998 Land Rover Wolf 90

DaytonM38A1
G-Private
G-Private

Post by DaytonM38A1 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:20 pm

Hey Everyone, it's been awhile since my original post. I continued to look over everything and everything was indeed correct. I took the weights out of the distributor, drilled out the holes, and made bushings so every thing would be more solid and not loose. I've made a lot of progress since then by changing bushings out in the distributor as well. Now it will crank and idle perfect for about 10 seconds the it dies. You cannot try to give it any gas or it'll die. Any input on what the problem could be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”