Cleaning gauge exteriors

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
AFM38A1
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Cleaning gauge exteriors

Post by AFM38A1 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:35 pm

Hi

I finally sourced the two period correct gauges I needed and found a shop to replace the Speedo face plastic.

Out of the five gauges, only one (the 0-120 oil pressure gauge) will be new.
A used water temp unit was given to me by a fellow local MV newcomer who has a box of various spares.So I've experienced fellow MV owner generosity already.

So that means the others need to be cleaned...faces as well as cans/bodies (The clear plastic openings that allow the dash lights to illuminate the face.

A couple seem to have slight paint overspray, or it could be just 60+ years of accumulated "crud"...(I think that's the technical term).

So, Windex? Solvents/paint thinner? Water? Paste wax?
And yes, I know enough not to immerse them or put them in the dishwasher.

Thanks,
John
Last edited by AFM38A1 on Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
M38A1 MD 82551. Built 3/1955. Purchased in Nov. 2021.
Former owner/restorer of 1977 Jeep CJ-5 Renegade Levis Edition.
All stock w/factory V-8. Used as a daily driver for 7 years.

parker007
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Cleaning gauge exteriors

Post by parker007 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:31 pm

A guy i know used paint remover and it melted the plastic, so don't use that. Im thinking most solvents do same. I had recommendation to use brake fluid to melt paint from plastic steering wheel so that may work.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:07 am

All the gauge faces I have cleaned were glass and I use Xylene. Universal solvent. It will definitely melt plastic. And your liver.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

BJBoehm
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by BJBoehm » Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:01 am

Don't know if any of you guys have ever tried to use cerium oxide to clean and polish glass and plastic faces of gauges or whatever. It is an ultrafine abrasive that is used in industrial glass polishing. Available on line and a small 6 ounce bag will last years. I have used it on plastic and crystal watch faces, the plastic idiot lights on my M422 and what ever needs a really fine polish. No harmful solvents needed, only dampen in water and polish. Takes a little elbow grease but my results have been really nice. Same principle as using crest toothpaste to your headlight lenses but much better. Good friend who spent his whole career with Corning Glass told me about it.

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”