front axle knuckles

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
Heehaw
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

front axle knuckles

Post by Heehaw » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:29 pm

My 53 m38a1 steering knuckles and tie rods have give out. I have a donor jeep with axle and tie rods that seem tight .Donor axles pretty rusty on tubes but i think can build it up with my mig. Having never tore in a steering knuckle, would it be easier swap axles and brakes. or take the hubs apart and replace the bearings. this a hunting rig and season gettlng close.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: front axle knuckles

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:36 am

First post I see; welcome to the forum.
Before you do anything, get TM9-8015-2, the Power Train manual, and read it cover to cover twice. Then you will know exactly what to do. Front ends of jeeps are very simple pieces of machinery. Assemble them IAW the TM and you will be fine. Having the spindle fall off, will not be so fine.
I would just swap out the knuckles, personally; and that will allow you to check the seals, bearings, brakes, repack everything, and set the turn resistance. Why do you want to replace the bearings before you have seen them? Might be ok, might not. I never re-use tie rod ends; they are cheap. Don't weld up the axle tube if your old one is good. Just swap the knuckles.
Get the TMs.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

GPW1263
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by GPW1263 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:21 am

I agree. Do the work. It's a very straightforward job that can be done just about anywhere with regular tools. Follow the Tech Manual's step by step instructions. Any questions you may come up with will be answered here.

Heehaw
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Heehaw » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:56 am

Tore the axle on the jeep down. Ordered new tie rods and knuckle bearings for it. Tie rods are cj5 i guess as their 11/16 not 3/4. Wheel bearings seem o.k. Knuckle bearings came apart in the part washer. Now what to do with the 2 rust bucket jeeps I bought for the axle replacement. A subject for another thread I suppose.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:11 pm

What kind of jeeps did you buy and how rusted? Post pictures. Make a few more posts so the forum will let you. Are they complete?
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Heehaw
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Heehaw » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:18 am

m38a1 's 55 or 56's I think . drive train's are compete . po said one engine was Frozen but I think it's the water pump as i cut the belts and the water pump doesn't turn. both 24v. I'll try post pictures next week on a new thread as i'm trying to get my 53 back together and checked out before a trip to the lease this weekend.

PrairieWheeler
G-Private
G-Private

Post by PrairieWheeler » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:47 am

I'd be careful if you want to mig to the tubes. They are not very thick metal and axle tubes warp easy with heat, it would suck to have a bent axle.
I'm currently re tubing a rear axle for my M38 that the short Side was bent 3 degrees with a broken axle shaft and its a bit of work.

Heehaw wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:29 pm
My 53 m38a1 steering knuckles and tie rods have give out. I have a donor jeep with axle and tie rods that seem tight .Donor axles pretty rusty on tubes but i think can build it up with my mig. Having never tore in a steering knuckle, would it be easier swap axles and brakes. or take the hubs apart and replace the bearings. this a hunting rig and season gettlng close.

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”