Muffler tail pipe extension and lift shackle

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
Miles Through Time
banned

Muffler tail pipe extension and lift shackle

Post by Miles Through Time » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:47 am

exhaust ext 1.JPG
Test fitting tub and bumperette and with the tail pipe extension on, and even with it off, it looks like, the lift ring will just rest on the tail pipe and clang away. Do I have everything installed or dry fitted correctly? I know I don't have the bracket and lift ring on yet. Someone suggested rubber exhaust hangers that would lower the exhaust, right now I've got them and their hangers bolted directly to crossmembers. But, it would have to be lowered quite a bit and I'm not seeing that as a field mod or motor pool remedy. I think if the noise was an issue, they just pull the ring and store it in the tool box.
exhaust ext 2.JPG

JMZ421
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Muffler tail pipe extension and lift shackle

Post by JMZ421 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:01 am

I understand the tailpipe extension but why install that. It appears the angle of the exhaust is where it should be to prevent that noise I assume you are trying to prevent. When I had an A! I cut off the old muffler tailpipe and used that and want to say the shackle did hit my exhaust as it rattled. I removed that extension. John

Miles Through Time
banned

Post by Miles Through Time » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:35 am

I was under the impression that the extension replaced the snorter fording exhaust upright. So if the snorter was installed, the lift ring would hit that instead of the extension. We purchased the extension prior to installing the exhaust system as we were under the imprssion that the exhaust would exit under the tub and the extension was needed to bring it outside the tub. But with our tub dry fitted, the standard outlet is under the bumperette. I will remove the extension and see if the lift ring and bracket clear it. If it does not, I guess leave the extension on and just put the ring in the tool box.

JMZ421
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by JMZ421 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:05 pm

I think those extensions were being installed(as an option??) for noise reduction(exhaust noise inside bumperette) and to make sure the exhaust smell is well outside the vehicle. I looked through the ORD 9 for my M38 and do not see an extension pipe except for the W0-649863 which is that long fording exhaust pipe. John

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:26 pm

!: You have it bolted on 33.3 degrees out; put it down, not forward.
2: They are bogus, aftermarket inventions.
3: I have one I just installed on my M606 to keep the exhaust from being sucked into the inside.
4: It works.
5: It does not hit the tie down shackle.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

g.keating
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by g.keating » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:36 pm

the m170 used that extension

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:46 am

It's listed in the M-170 Parts Manual.
Looks good except after curious MV'ers use the extension pipe for a step to climb into the rear. I remove the lifting shackle to eliminate the noise.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”