Hoe to remove hand brake drum?

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
Miles Through Time
banned

Hoe to remove hand brake drum?

Post by Miles Through Time » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:01 am

Trying to replace the civilian hand brake parts on a M38A1 project with correct A1 parts that I am salvaging from another donor. I've got the drive shaft off and there is a large nut holding the brake drum in place. But, when I put a wrench on the large nut, the entire drum turns in place. I've tried putting some vice grips on the drum to hold it in place, but the tension required to loosen the nut just turns the drum again.

Put jeep in gear? Something obvious I am missing?

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Hoe to remove hand brake drum?

Post by mdainsd » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:52 am

Does the handbrake still work? If so, set it on. Put the jeep in gear and try, you may end up spinning the engine, so stop if that happens. Finally, put it in four wheel drive and have an assistant sit in the jeep and apply the foot brake.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

Ron D
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Ron D » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:44 am

An impact wrench won't pop it loose?
Ron D
1951 M38
1951 M100

Miles Through Time
banned

Post by Miles Through Time » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:40 am

Battery operated impact wrench did the trick with the help of the vice grips. Just enough of a "jolt" to know it loose. The innards of the parking brake were all gone, Bubba probably got tires of the noise so he just pulled all the parts, or he needed them for another project. So, after all that, I get to start doing the same on another donor.
But, now I know the secret. Thank you both.

Miles Through Time
banned

Post by Miles Through Time » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:34 am

Oh, the things we do to get a $10 part. The second jeep was out in the field and really did not want to give up her hand brake parts. Removed rear of drive shaft so I could rotate to get to flange bolts at front of drive shaft. But then the whole shaft rotated and I had to rotate until I could get a wrench on the flange nut and then clamp the shaft in place to prevent it from turning to get the four nuts off and remove the whole shaft. Then the drum retaining nut would not come off with the impact driver and I could not get a braker bar on it due to the frame and body tup preventing clearance. After two hours in the almost 100 degree heat, put a large socket breaker bar and used a floor jack to press up against the bar and after lifting the entire jeep off the ground, it snapped loosed. What a job...and after all that, brake shoes inside the drum, but not outside and no springs or wavey washers, so I need to order some parts before I can put all thees on the project A1.

All day for this one task...

Ron D
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Ron D » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:12 am

Battery powered impact wrench is oxymoronic to me ----> too much like "jumbo shrimp" ----> not big enough, not enough guts.

I use a house-powered impact wrench that hasn't failed yet, but might need xtra long extension cord to reach the back 40.
Ron D
1951 M38
1951 M100

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:38 pm

I don't think a hoe will work either.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”