Which should I use please?

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
Wagtail
G-Private
G-Private

Which should I use please?

Post by Wagtail » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:28 am

Hi All

First up you'll have to forgive me but I'm a complete novice when it comes to historic military vehicles. I'm ex British Army so have driven more than I care to remember but we had the REME (Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers) for that side of the job!

So I have just bought a 1954' M38A1 which in pretty good overall condition but needs a few minor jobs doing. One is I have a new distributor cover which is bare metal so what paint should I use to paint it please? Do I need a high heat paint (as it's next to the block) oy a krylon type? Any advice appreciated thanks you.

Very best wishes Wagtail

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: Which should I use please?

Post by W. Winget » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:22 am

I do not know of any high heat "Olive Drab" paint. I would primer and paint it with a normal coat of paint.
The Distributor sits away from direct heat and should be relatively cool with the expection of the base that connects to the block.
Proper shade of Olive Drab is another consideration, the M38A1 is not a WWII color, more of Vietnam era 24087 brown/green shade, but the engine may have been factory colored differently than the body...black maybe.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:09 am

Right; you do not need a high heat paint. Even these blocks do fine with regular body paint. Paint it 23070, semi gloss, original code was 2430; if before 56, and 24087 if after 56. I know you are in England. If you are portraying a British army jeep then it might be forest green; not sure about that. Then one on my M38A1 is body color. 24087. The late brownish OD.
Or yes, just paint it black and pretend it is a replacement from the supply system.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

g.keating
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by g.keating » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:22 am

the dist. cover is black, not OD. regular paint will be fine. most all of the engine and accessories will handle regular paint just fine. if you want to coat the manifolds then that's a high heat area

Wagtail
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Wagtail » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:30 am

Gents that is great thank you. The distributor has traces of black so that's the colour I'll go for.

The jeep does need a new paint job at some time and I'm looking to do it as a vehicle of the 1st Cavalry Div - 545 Military Police.
I served with 24 Air-Mobile Brigade which was our British equivalent of Air Cav and am a former Police officer so the two seem to fit.

The vehicle bumper markings I've come up with so far (taken from an old black and white image of a 545 military police M38A1) are:

1C 545 P23

Many thanks
Wagtail

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”