Ignition Coils (again)

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
USASA
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Ignition Coils (again)

Post by USASA » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:49 am

Curious if anyone has tried the "Reproduction High Quality M38 and M38A1 ignition coils from P e t e r_D e B e l l a_J e e p__P a r t s and, if so, what your experience has been with them.

I called to ask about them but was told "Not going to tell you where they're from or who the manufacturer is and, no, I don't have any NOS coils." :shock: Argh! Woulda thought a little salesmanship would be helpful but that's just me.

I've tried searching various sites but haven't had any luck finding a NOS coil at any price and the I'm assured that the reproductions being sold by each vendor are "good" but they're "not sure" where they're from :?: .
Gene
'54 M38A1
'67 M416

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: Ignition Coils (again)

Post by W. Winget » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:57 pm

On my old computer, I had several photos of a guy overseas (maybe Iran or Greece) that assembled a COP (coil on plug) from a new car into three tiny cans he soldered together, insulating the top can with screws and wiring the single coil up as a replica 24V distributor coil that fit in the original hole and functioned well.

The only 24V COP units I could find were for overseas applications and I never really pursued making one myself. Perhaps next year when I retire I will have time to work through the process.

Why vendors don't want to say, is likely covering themselves, as everything is outsourced overseas and once they bought it, if they can't sell them they are stuck with inventory and electrical parts particularly are not well executed by many Asian suppliers.

You can only assume he has been challenged repeatedly if he offered up the customer service you describe.
V/R W. Winget

Found the old post, go here:viewtopic.php?f=104&t=308488&p=1794084& ... C#p1794084

Note someone's precaution about the voltage and burning points.
WAW
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

ndnile
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by ndnile » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:40 pm

I have a friend that went through two of "He who shall not be named" self proclaimed high quality coils in as many weeks in his M151. Looks to me like we're still searching for the good ones.
Doug
Sacramento Area
1943 Willys MB
1943 GPW-125334 (Sold)
1962 M170
1959 Willys Wagon

USASA

Post by USASA » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:15 pm

And so I went looking ... everywhere ... and just about gave up hope of finding an NOS coil for my M38A1 figuring I'd just have to budget for a steady diet of chrome (rhymes with, uh, siamese) coils. Last ditch effort was to open an RFQ with several parts suppliers, thieves and miscreants. Got several responses but only one was semi-reasonable and patient enough to answer my questions. Just received the coils (2) and, FYI, here's what I got:

The box which was sealed and reflected the correct FSN:

The Packing List which further raised my hopes:

The coil (now I'm breathing heavily):

The additional replacement parts:

Lastly, the instructions:

So now it's back to the garage (which, in Houston in July is tantamount to cruel & unusual) to see if these coils work.

One question, though ... is it necessary to replace the input filter capacitor?
Gene
'54 M38A1
'67 M416

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:47 am

Gene, your pics don't show. Recently on Ebay, there was a seller in Greece that offered a complete electric kit for the 24 volt distributor, just as you describe. I took a look at the Cage Code on the coil and looked up the referenced manufacturer. I then went to that manufacturers website and saw that they had a US factory and a China factory to produce coils. I passed on the purchase, although curious.
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:15 am

One question, though ... is it necessary to replace the input filter capacitor?
Is it bad?
It can be tested, or if bypassed, replaced. The capacitors job is to s l o w the spike of power going into the distributor and reduce the burning of the points. Secondary to that is reduction in static "Pop" in radio frequency so it's not detected, or impacting your radio reception/transmission.
Ditto on no photos. Whom did you end up receiving the NOS pieces from?
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

USASA

Post by USASA » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:28 pm

Dave,
The vendor I got the two coils from was WB Parts https://www.wbparts.com/.
Each of the coils came from separate manufacturers.
The one pictured came from Marshall Electric Corp. in Indiana and the CAGE Code was 2P001.
The other coil (with the FSN) was made by Andover Coils, a US/Canadian manufacturer and its CAGE was 61689.
Not sure where to go with that info but it appears they're U.S. made - which is what the vendor said.

Interesting observation #1: the chinese coils weigh 1lb 3oz & the ones I got weigh 1lb 10 oz.
Interesting observation #2: The jeep's running better, smoother and starts without any hesitation since I put the new coil in.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
And, no, my capacitor isn't bad and it was replaced a few hundred miles ago. I was just curious.
Gene
'54 M38A1
'67 M416

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:06 am

Marshall Electric is the company with a partnership with a Chinese company. Andover Coil of Indiana went Bankrupt in 2016. Interesting on the weight. Testing of the Chinese coils show that there are far fewer windings inside, thus less weight. The summation of these test results are that the Chinese coils should work OK for a points type ignition but using them with an electronic ignition will cause the failure issues that are very common with M151 owners with electronic ignition.
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”