Need advice on removal of gas tank

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
Tom Campbell
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Need advice on removal of gas tank

Post by Tom Campbell » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:18 pm

Can anyone recommend a site (or a thread on this board) that gives practical information about removal of the M38A1 gas tank? Have a 9/53 M38A1 that has obvious rust and junk in the gas tank. Have removed strap bolts as well as fuel line and disconnected the gauge sending unit lead. I - assume - that the tank has to go out at an angle to clear the filler spout, but I can't get mine to move very much. Afraid to break something expensive out of stupidity. Thanks, Tom Campbell - Birmingham, AL

Bosage
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Re: Need advice on removal of gas tank

Post by Bosage » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:36 pm

When I took mine out I also removed the filler neck piece with the grommet. That gave me room to work the tank out. It had a lot of years of debris wedged between the tank and the tub but it came out okay.

jnissen
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by jnissen » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:52 pm

Yes you need to remove the tub filler portion. Has a rubber grommet that fits around the tank filler neck. Once that’s out of the way the tank just lifts out. May need to wiggle it toward passenger side while lifting that side. Ours was a bubba tank that was a very tight fit. It eventually came out but crusty from all the junk that falls into that well.

Getting a cleaned up tank back in and fitting well can be a chore so take pics to ensure you have approximately same thickness of spacers when you reinstall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jim Nissen
1955 M38A1
Patent Plate MD74784
Engine Plate MD85578
BS Hood Number 20974784

Tom Campbell
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Tom Campbell » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:18 am

Thanks, GUYS. I got the tank out with a little wiggling - just some trash in tank well jamming against sides causing trouble. After all your comments, I knew that there wasn't something I didn't know about that wasn't removed = so I just got a little more "physical" with the tank and out it rocked. Now to the cleaning process. Think I'm going to try the electrolysis process as seen on You Tube. Thanks again. Tom Campbell

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:10 am

The M-38A1 Tank is a more snug fit but will normaly pull right out without haviing to remove the CUP for the Fuel Tank Neck.
It was good Army Jeep Maintenance procedure to periodically remove the fuel tank to remove accumulated mud, gravel, leaves, etc., and spot paint the well and tank bottom to prevent rust and pin holes.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

jnissen
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by jnissen » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:06 pm

That gap on the right side is like a black hole! We found tons of artifacts in there. Old shotgun shells, brass casings, beer can pull tabs, etc... I got a good chuckle out of all the trash.

We reinstalled but put a piece of foam in the gap to reduce the number of lost tools or small children that could drop in there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jim Nissen
1955 M38A1
Patent Plate MD74784
Engine Plate MD85578
BS Hood Number 20974784

Bosage
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Bosage » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:27 pm

When I pulled mine I found 50 year commemorative WWII pin in there. Nice!

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”