The M170's are starting to follow me home

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

The M170's are starting to follow me home

Post by signsup » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:40 am

First load today of the sheet metal only. Rolling chassis to follow this week. Any comments appreciated. Initial game plan is to end up with one good ambulance jeep, hopefully one parade ready ambulance jeep and one radio jeep. Pretty sure I will only have enough ambulance specific parts for two jeeps at the most, but that stuff isn't home yet. Here is what is:

Three tubs, one on frame with grill and fenders I refer to as the frame tub. One decent ambulance tub I refer to as the primed tub and one tub that I am guessing is a CJ6 or DJ6 tub. Some loose tailgates, fenders, and hood. I think the hood is civilian, maybe the CJ6 hood The CJ tub has no footman loops on the dash for head rest, no slave socket indent but has top bow brackets, so not a hard top jeep.
tubs 1.JPG
Interesting tail gates. I know another thread was started inquiring about radio jeep tail gates, and I thought I had the holy graile here with M170 tail gates with no holes, but I am now leaning towards they are CJ6 tail gates. I do not know why they are not stamped Willys or Jeep, but have no spare tire or jerry can reinforcement. Can only presume CJ6 tail gates were no embossed with Willys or Jeep.

Loose piece of steel with holes and one lift ring at end that someone guessed was marine radio jeep because of the ring. Front or rear bumper, but I'm not seeing any pics of a marine radio jeep that this might be a front or rear bumper from. Military scrap?

Here is what I got so far:
marine bumper 1.JPG
marine bumper 2.JPG
frame tub 1.JPG
frame tub 2.JPG
cj6 1.JPG
cj6 2.JPG
primer tub 1.JPG
primer tub 2.JPG
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA
Jeeps, trucks, trailers and Weasels

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: The M170's are starting to follow me home

Post by signsup » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:56 pm

Well, after some comments via PM's, we went out and felt the suspected CJ tub and now feel like it is a M170 tub with a reproduction repair panel on the passenger lower side and leaves a seam on the cowl where the slave socket indent would be. The weld is not pfoessional and some holes are missing in the repair panel that are on original tubs, probably for door frames. So, now we really don't know what the tail gates are from that do not have stretcher holes or spare tire reinforcement plates, but fit the M170 tubs perfectly.
cj6 tailgate 1.JPG
cj6 tailgate 2.JPG
nice tailgate.JPG
rough tailgate.JPG
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:21 pm

Well, the bumper may be a field mod or it may be a Bubba bumper, but it came off this frame and the data plates we have for it indicate it was a radio jeep. So, maybe this is a marine bumper with one lift ring missing. The rear end is kinda rough with no springs in the schackles so I don't know what they used for a rear bumper if they did not use bumperettes.
marine bumper 3.JPG
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:08 am

Robert,

Compare your bumper to a Mighty Mite bumper. I think you'll find your answer.

The tailgate with the added round holes is a radio jeep tailgate.
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! odcloth.com for your MV Canvas and Webbing needs
Click the pic for our M170 restoration
Visit our PBR Restoration Site. http://www.pbr6927.com

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:06 pm

I presume you mean the tail gate with the nice stretcher holes, but drilled small holes throughout the tail gate. For mounting radio brackets or reindorcement plate?
The rough cut stretcher hole tail gate is probably a Bubba M170 tail gate. But what are all these donor no hole tail gates coming from? What vehicles used the same tail gate as the M170 with no spare tire or jerry can reinforcement on the inside?

Brought home a DJ5 postal jeep and one rolling M170 today. Pics to follow tomorrow. Tired and it's raining.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:19 pm

OK, first roller that made it home. Two more rollers to go and found two rolling chassis with engine and trans in the woods, so two more trips, 4 more rolling stock to go. I call this one my trailer jeep. Fairly complete, needs steering I will try to see what bow brackets and litter brackets are here when I get my complete M170 home to see how everything goes together.

This one has unique rear end. Pintle hitch, trailer socket on drivers rear, Bubba blinkers, passenger side rear has military marker light installed and cover box installed inside rear tool box. Wonder what that was all about. Another one of these no hole tail gates.

Oh, and some loose parts as well to go through one rainy day.
trailer jeep 1.JPG
trailer jeep rear.JPG
tool box.JPG
trailer socket.JPG
parts 1.JPG
parts 2.JPG
Bubba seat made from seat frame back welded to floor of tub.
Attachments
bubba seat.JPG
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

g.keating
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by g.keating » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:07 pm

https://cj3b.info/Dating/DatingTailgates.html

good info on tailgates at the link above.

from my observations, any willys or amc jeep tailgate before 1981 will fit any of the cj or military jeeps. For sure I can say that ny cj3a and m170 tailgate are both 37 inches long and interchangeable. from the link above, both original and repro tailgates came unstamped, with no willys or jeep stamped in the middle. you might be able to tell from the link if the ones you have that are unstamped are original or repro.

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:14 am

OK, two more kinda complete vehicles on the trailer today. Both have engines and drive trains, tubs in various states off rust and toast. First two pics are a decent M170 with some racks and bows.
Last five pics are what appear to be a radio jeep. Holes on wheel wells for radio racks, trailer socket, tail gate with holes for radio racks and antenna pass through, FM antenna mounts on passenger cowl with pass through hole and a grab handle on the dash that I do not know was military or Bubba. No plate over the spare tire well, but the floor is in rough condition, so who knows what was there. Appears to be two A1 seats, but don't know if it was military or Bubba. Hole in rear passenger top of wheel well and on tub floor for spare tire bracket have bolts in them to seal them up and appear very old. Lots of research to do and missing parts to locate. In my files from this stash are one radio jeep data plate.
top jeep 1.JPG
top jeep 2.JPG
radio jeep 1.JPG
radio jeep 2.JPG
radio jeep 3.JPG
radio jeep 4.JPG
radio jeep 6.JPG
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:24 am

And one old duffle bag that had some old canvas stuffed inside. Pretty fragile, but one top, two drivers side panels. I've mounted the passenger panel inside out and rolled it up just to make sure what I had. Nothing stinks up the old shop like old canvas.
canvas 1.JPG
canvas 2.JPG
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:07 pm

And, if anyone can tell me what these are, it would be helpful I can't find any bolt holes that line up with these. They appear to be litter racks of some sort and I have six of these in three different sets of paint and condition, so it would appear that two per vehicle, but they may not have anything to do with M170's. There were many M38A1's in this estate. Some sort of litter rack for the A1?
mystery racks.JPG
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

LANCE MILLER
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by LANCE MILLER » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:38 pm

signsup wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:07 pm
And, if anyone can tell me what these are, it would be helpful I can't find any bolt holes that line up with these. They appear to be litter racks of some sort and I have six of these in three different sets of paint and condition, so it would appear that two per vehicle, but they may not have anything to do with M170's. There were many M38A1's in this estate. Some sort of litter rack for the A1?

mystery racks.JPG
Those are gas tank straps for the M170 gas tank.

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:54 am

Mystery solved, thank you. I have two tanks out of vehicles, not one installed and I felt the studs for them but presumed they ran side to side not front to back. Explains why two per vehicle. Looks like I will need all three sets if I want to end up with three jeeps.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

ndnile
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by ndnile » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:54 pm

Hey Robert, We're due for an update on these.

Cheers, Doug
Doug
Sacramento Area
1943 Willys MB
1943 GPW-125334 (Sold)
1962 M170
1959 Willys Wagon

man248
G-Civilian

Post by man248 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:45 am

I have a 1953 M170 and research and an old grunt looking at it show that the one I have was a Marine Radio Jeep. In photo #4 of the Jun13th post is modified the same as my M150. I have somewhat restored and I use it here on my farm in NC. As a friend of mine said the 15 foot rule needs to be applied along with when is moving. It is an everyday vehicle. May post a story about. Thanks........
Attachments
20201005_153320a.jpg
20201012_164411 a.jpg

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”