Miscellaneous Restoration Questions

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
pajeff02
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Re: Miscellaneous Restoration Questions

Post by pajeff02 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:06 am

Ok, back to some questions:

1. Still not certain how the throttle cable attaches to the throttle lever. I think I may be missing a piece as there is no place to attach the barrel nut.

2. Is there a base setting for the carburetor mixture screw I should start with? My idle is kind of up and down and even after adjusting the throttle stop screw it seems to climb back up. I want to say that the mixture screw is backed out about 2 to 2-1/2 turns right now. The TM simply states to adjust the screw until it idles smooth.

3. On longer down hill runs the transmission will pop out of second when engine braking the descent. Any adjustment to remedy this or do I simply have wear in the transmission?

Thank you!

Ben Dover
Gee Addict

Post by Ben Dover » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:29 am

807176 ROD, Throttle, (AcceleratorBellcrank to carburetor) It crosses over the Rocker Cover and has a little pivoting block that the wire passes thru. A Throttle stop fixes to the wire.. Guessing your carb needs a Kit. Jumping out of 2nd is indication that 2nd Gear Bushing is worn. from too much compression braking. The T-90 will eat up 2nd Gears during compression braking, best use the brake pedal.
The Rod is sort of a slight "U" Shape, 6 or 7" long) See your favorite dealer.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

pajeff02
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by pajeff02 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:06 am

Thank you! I had a kit ordered for the carburetor but it never showed up. I need to check my credit card statement to see if the transaction actually went through. If anyone has a pic of the throttle cable connection that I can compare to what I have that would be much appreciated.

Work continues -- Klinger's new sneakers arrived on Tuesday and after quite a fight they are all mounted up. One tire date coded back to 1962 and even with my air pressure cranked up my tire machine would not break the bead. I ended up slipping a pry bar down between the blade and bead and with some added force it finally let loose.

I was really hoping to save this particular tire as it is branded "Pennsylvania Mud & Snow", however, it was the one that decided not to come off and I had to cut the bead and sidewall.

Ben Dover
Gee Addict

Post by Ben Dover » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:33 am

The "PENNSYLVANIA" Brand NDCC and wheel likekly was originally installed on a new M-100 in 51-52. Same wheel as the Jeeps they were made for.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:26 am

I feel a little silly now with the wrong carb so maybe we can start again?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/77765298@ ... 556847028/
Last edited by Mark Tombleson on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

pajeff02
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by pajeff02 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:34 pm

That helps -- thank you! Although that is not quite our setup, I see that I am definitely missing some pieces from our linkage.

Now that we have the new tires mounted we were hoping to debut the jeep at our local cruise in this evening. Unfortunately it rained on and off most of the day and kept everyone away. We settled for a ride around the hill after dinner. The tires make a huge difference in both feel and road manners. I still have to tackle the front oil galley plug, parking brake, passenger side brake light, and front drive shaft. At least we can now enjoy our Jeep a bit before winter.

pajeff02
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by pajeff02 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:17 am

And another question:

While flipping through one of my TM's I noticed a picture of a cable that is missing on our jeep. I had been puzzled by an empty bracket on the crossmember and see now that on the driver side of the engine there is a cable that runs from the engine to the mystery bracket. Anyone know the purpose of the cable or how critical it is?

Kendall
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Kendall » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:15 pm

Sounds like you are referring to the engine stay cable.

pajeff02
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by pajeff02 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:36 am

That's it. I was able to locate a better pic in the TM and see that it runs from the bell housing to the bracket on the crossmember. I am still a bit stumped though as the rotational force of the engine is perpendicular to this cable. On old school hot rods and race cars we always ran the "stay cable" down from the side of the engine to the frame -- usually a piece of chain.

pajeff02
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by pajeff02 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:41 pm

Finally found the wiring issue for the right side brake light. At some point in time a hook must have been attached through a hole in the rear crossmember (rather than using either of the rear shackles, apparently) and it ripped into the wire harness. I repaired the broken wire and think everything is working now, just not the way I originally thought. I found that the left rear light housing has the service tail light and service brake light. The right rear housing has the blackout tail light and blackout brake light.

I originally thought that the service brake light circuit would energize both light housings so I chased myself in a circle for a bit after making the repair and then finding that I still did not have a service brake light on the right side. Finally sat down and read up on the lighting system a bit in the TM and discovered my error.

Since we will be driving Klinger on the street, I will probably clip the connection for the blackout brake light at the harness junction and connect it to the service brake light wire. This will give me dual brake lights which is probably a lot safer out on the road. In the event of a zombie apocalypse, I will leave a short pigtail at the harness junction that will allow me to re-connect the blackout brake light circuit.

pajeff02
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by pajeff02 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:02 am

Finished the wiring repairs in the back last night. The blackout brake light is now tapped into the service brake light service. I am going to try and source a driver side lens assembly, or even a housing, to complete the rear light setup. If I am able to locate a housing I will likely wire up the parking light circuit to the right side as well.

Poring over the TM earlier this week I noticed that there is a spring that runs from the parking brake assembly to the skid plate. Ours was missing so I found a spring at the local hardware store and installed it last night. No more rattles emanating from under the floor board. Finished up last night by going for a ride around town. I think the more that we drive our jeep the better it is running. The engine has definitely quieted down from when we first purchased it.

pajeff02
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by pajeff02 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:05 am

New master cylinder and gasket set for the transfer case arrived yesterday. It made no sense to refurbish the parking brake with oil leaking onto the drum from the transfer case. Hoping I can get out in the garage tonight to swap out the master cylinder. I ordered up a driver side taillight lens to install on the passenger side so that I have an actual taillight and brake light. I looked at modifying the blackout lens assembly but that was going to be too labor intensive.

pajeff02
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by pajeff02 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:47 am

The master cylinder definitely had some issues even though it did not appear to be all that old. New one is installed and I am hoping to have time to bleed the brakes this afternoon and get Klinger back on the road.

pajeff02
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by pajeff02 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:12 pm

Master cylinder swap appears to be just what the doctor ordered. Brake pedal feels better, the rod is not adjusted all the way in anymore, and no dragging of the pads. We didn't go very far this evening but I am 95% certain that everything is good now.

After the test drive, we started to fiddle with the top bows and then dug out the box with the new top. It went on easier than I anticipated and really changes the look of our jeep. The roof side rods and new top are all parts that came with the jeep when we purchased it. There are also two (2) short rods (with no holes or hooks on the ends) and two (2) small brackets. Our best guess is that these install vertically at the back of the "door opening" to support side curtains. Is this correct?

pajeff02
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by pajeff02 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:48 am

Found some pics of M38A1's on-line that depict the side curtain rods so that is what they are. I doubt that we'll ever acquire the rest of the pieces to close in our jeep, so they'll simply be added to the parts stash.

New taillight assembly arrived yesterday and should be an easy install. Only difference is that this one has rubber couplers rather than steel twist couplers and the color is off. I am still stumped on what color our jeep is at it did not match any of the paint chips that we received from a vendor. I'll have to get some custom mixed paint anyway to fix a few spots and will re-paint the housing and lens cover whenever this happens.

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”