Early GMC Life image

Vintage photos
Bill M
MechTech

Early GMC Life image

Post by Bill M » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:00 am

Early GMC getting a tow with an unusual front wheel configuration possibly undergoing testing.
No original caption unfortunately.
Bill.
Member of G503 since 1999

GPW-178721 Under restoration.

mb4ever
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
Re: Early GMC Life image

Post by mb4ever » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:22 am

They used twin front wheel trucks in the field.
With chains on all 4 front wheels.
"Compared to the crimes, robberies and excesses committed by the army [part of the Wehrmacht], the SS and the police don't look all that bad" Reinhard Heydrich, Chief of the Reich Main Security Office (including the Gestapo).

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:20 am

And they were more effective with traction devices when driven in the mud and swamps.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

mb4ever
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by mb4ever » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:23 am

What do you mean by 'traction devices' please Ben?
"Compared to the crimes, robberies and excesses committed by the army [part of the Wehrmacht], the SS and the police don't look all that bad" Reinhard Heydrich, Chief of the Reich Main Security Office (including the Gestapo).

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:57 am

The Tracks that went around the Duals. They were used in the tough going, and were more effective when the CCKW's using them were backed up thru the hard going.
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

mb4ever
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by mb4ever » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:18 am

Thanks Ben.

I always think upon front chains
as very useful for backing out
when the going gets too tough.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:24 am

Just imagine a Field Artillery unit in the jungles of the Pacific having to mount and dismount the tracks on the front and rears of CCKWs in combat conditions.

mb4ever
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by mb4ever » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:23 am

Didn't they just fit and forget Ben?

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:39 am

They were not practical to leave on the wheels once they accomplished the task. Wartime in the Jungles was slow and dirty, my friend Lonnie Tasker used the samm CCKW with his unit for most of the War.

mb4ever
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by mb4ever » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:35 am

I'm surprised Ben.

I fit chains before the ground gets churned up.
I find chains slow the speed at which the ground gets churned
since the wheel slip much less.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:53 am

[quote="mb4ever"][color=#FFFFFF].[/color]
I'm surprised Ben.

I fit chains before the ground gets churned up.
I find chains slow the speed at which the ground gets churned
since the wheel slip much less.[/quote]

Ideal conditions are not what the CCKW in the pic was being tested for, and the terrain that vehicles driven in combat were subject to was not always ideal. The unit my friend Lonnie Tasker served with was activated in late 1940 and served thru wars end, they made several landings, he was a cook in the Mess section and drove the same Kitchen Truck in combat thru most of WWII. It was a Split Axle CCKW and had to have its rear axles changed once when it slammed against the side of a ship while being off loaded. Lonnie was awarded the Bronze Star for driving his truck while under fire to rescue a fellow soldier. He passed away in 1986, and it would have been interesting for current MV collectors to hear him and his fellow buddies to relate to the war.

mb4ever
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by mb4ever » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:04 am

He passed away in 1986, and it would have been interesting for current MV collectors to hear him and his fellow buddies to relate to the war.

Very true Ben.
I have a friend who saw lots of action in Europe.
He still can't bring himself to tell me much about
what Evil Adolph's soldiers were really like.
'They were horrible, absolutely horrible'
was as far as he could go before memories overcame him.
I asked him if he could could write down
the ways in which they were horrible,
but no luck so far.

There were 6000 men in his unit at the start of one battle.
After 63 days in action, 600 were left to surrender.
Amazingly, 100 of them attended a 60th re-union.
He was the only one without a stick.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:43 am

Lonnie would mention his experiences occasionally, talk about his kitchen truck, not his exploits such as rescueing his buddy during a Mortar attack, just things of interest that popped into his mind such as observing a Marine Corsair land at Munda on the unfinished airstrip and get mired, or tell of the actions of a fellow veteran from the unit. His unit was Maine National Guard Artillery, A Battery, 152nd Field Artillery, many of the men were locals and acquaintances of mine over the years. They only lost one man from 1940 thru 1945. The others from that unit were the same way, rarely mentioning their own combat, but telling of the heroics of others. When I visit the local VFW Hall and view the names of members of those who served back then I get sad knowing there are fewer of them left as time goes on.
A Battery only lost one of the original local members who were activated with the unit, Isaac Clewley died in his brother Rod's arms, his brother Rod was 1st Sergeant. He was on his cot when a Japanese mortar round hit his tent. Rod Clewley used to drive my MB in the local parades back in the 80's.
Last edited by Joe Gopan on Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

mb4ever
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by mb4ever » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:09 am

Many years ago, I visited the cemetary near Omaha Beach Benn.
I didn't spend long there it made me too sad.
Many of them didn't even make it off the beaches.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:31 pm

Lonnie Tasker served in the 43rd Division 152 Field Artillery, they were in action from 42 thru 1945, I went thru their roster, many were local business and community leaders after WWII, some continued to serve in Post WWII Maine National Guard thru the 70's, WO Joseph DeRoche started as a stable boy in 1935 and retired as the Battalion Maintenance Shop Chief in 1976. WO DeRoche was decorated for volunteering to shell a Japanese Troop vessel anchored of an island from a landing craft using a Jeep towed howitzer.
Last edited by Joe Gopan on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Vintage Photos & Video”