WW2-Korea?

Vintage photos
JMZ421
Sergeant Major of the Gee

WW2-Korea?

Post by JMZ421 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:31 pm

Sorry I could not get this oriented correctly. I found this on ebay and I purchased right away. I've never seen the picture before but it's an original 5 x 8. There are no dates and I have no clue where this is except someone noticed Italian spruces there in the background. Not sure. Anyway, it just a great picture of soldiers relying on the Jeep and probably is why I like it so much. John
Attachments
IMG_1430.JPG
IMG_1430.JPG (110.72 KiB) Viewed 131 times

Fernmelder
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: WW2-Korea?

Post by Fernmelder » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:42 pm

Mud makes for a messy miscalculation !
Definitely a Willy and Joe photo candidate
The trees notwithstanding:
The hood number, being so crisp, might suggest Korea. As well, the registration number is rather late for WW2, given the "07" indication and weather conditions they experienced in the photo.
The tire on the windshield, who knows ?
The reel in the back, a signal unit line-laying jeep?
The guy in the wheel well - does this carbine have a stock pouch (rather long) or is that something else ? Looks to be a grenade launcher there too.
This one has me stumped. Could be post war maneuvers somewhere?
Got any more detail on the photo, like paper type (on rear), edge treatment (fluted or square cut)
Maybe some other G members want to chime in.

JMZ421

Re: WW2-Korea?

Post by JMZ421 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:13 pm

The picture is squared and VERY glossy on front look almost wet. Only writing on back is 80E or 80 W and a F that is circled. You are correct as somebody can decipher those hood numbers. Picture is 6 and 15/16 by 5 and 3/4. Thanks. John

Return to “Vintage Photos & Video”