New tub vs. saving original

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
Investig8
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

New tub vs. saving original

Post by Investig8 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:57 pm

Hello All,
I purchased a 1952 M-38 a couple of years ago and have been working diligently since to restore it. The main question I faced early on, was do I scrap the tub and get a reproduction, or do I salvage the original tub knowing that it will never be original. I chose to keep the original tub, but it was in poor condition, requiring replacement of approximately 2/3 of the floor. Additionally, because it was run on a ranch in central Texas for many years, the rear corners were beat to death and "bubba" had run over many things. My belief is that if I can preserve the original tub, despite the fact it may contain some replacement panels and some body filler, that is always better than a reproduction. I am interested in what other's opinions may be on this matter, as I am not past the point of no return yet?
Thanks,
Dennis
Dennis Haas
1952 M-38
1953 M-37

parker007
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: New tub vs. saving original

Post by parker007 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:23 pm

It depend on your abilities, tools and time you chose to spend. if you farm it out it better just buy new body.

JMZ421
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by JMZ421 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:24 am

I would not even consider buying a ANY Jeep with a reproduction tub. Keep what you got or look for a used M38 body. Not even a tough decision for me but again I only have one M38. John

Tuareg
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Tuareg » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:34 am

That is interesting

JMZ421 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:24 am
I would not even consider buying a ANY Jeep with a reproduction tub. Keep what you got or look for a used M38 body. Not even a tough decision for me but again I only have one M38. John

JMZ421 I am agree with you, a new tub or repro one should be the last option, but I have a question: would you buy these tubs?

A) An original tub with original number but for example with the 90% parts new reproduction or self made.

B) A repro tub with the original number of the original one welded on and with 10% original parts.

I think it is the same.

So….
Willys MB
DOD 27 july 1942
TUB 63439
CHASIS MB161718
Estimated Hood number very high 20214xxx to very low 20215xxx
Probably 1st Armored Division, Operation Torch, still doing research.
Probably Diplomatic number plate by French Government in Morocco. Still doing research. Any information is welcome!

JMZ421
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by JMZ421 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:40 am

My thinking is more nostalgic than anything and I like the FACT that Veterans from all the wars starting with WW2 most certainly sat in my original tub. You do not get this with a new tub!! Of course repairs need to be made and provided they are made with US Steel I am Ok with it keeping original as possible. Again, I have one M38 and understand many do not care about originality, which is Ok if that's what they want. John

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:51 pm

Been there, done that and got 31 Brown T shirts to prove it.
Buy a repro tub; your time is worth a lot, and guys who graft repro panels and floors onto their dash are dreaming that is is somehow original. It's still a repro.
Come over and I'll show you both types, on M38s.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Investig8
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Investig8 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:16 am

Thanks to all for your input, it certainly offers consideration from both perspectives. After careful thought and a reexamination of my M38, I have decided to go with the original tub. All things considered, the only replacement pieces are in the floor, mostly just the rear section. I too took interest in the old military vehicles for preservation of history, not a replacement for it. I especially liked the comment regarding all the soldiers / airmen / seaman's butts who may have sat in the same seat I will be using.
Thanks again,
Dennis
Dennis Haas
1952 M-38
1953 M-37

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:28 am

Investig8 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:16 am
Thanks to all for your input, it certainly offers consideration from both perspectives. After careful thought and a reexamination of my M38, I have decided to go with the original tub. All things considered, the only replacement pieces are in the floor, mostly just the rear section. I too took interest in the old military vehicles for preservation of history, not a replacement for it. I especially liked the comment regarding all the soldiers / airmen / seaman's butts who may have sat in the same seat I will be using.
Thanks again,
Dennis
Hello Dennis,

Excellent choice !!

As far as any filler, only use a metallic filler like Metal to Metal, or All Metal, as it will never absorb water and peel off like old bondo does.
The metallic filler is great, and you can dress any grinder marks after your welding repairs are ground smooth.

Keep us posted on your restoration, and pictures are always welcomed here on the G !!

Best Regards,
Ray

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Post by Bill H. » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:15 pm

tuareg wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:34 am
That is interesting

JMZ421 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:24 am

JMZ421 I am agree with you, a new tub or repro one should be the last option, but I have a question: would you buy these tubs?

A) An original tub with original number but for example with the 90% parts new reproduction or self made.

B) A repro tub with the original number of the original one welded on and with 10% original parts.

I think it is the same.

So….
I wish you were right. The problem is pretty much every outfit that makes reproduction tubs can't get it right. MDJ and SGI both have their issues. MDJ is the last company I'd choose but I'm hearing more on SGI now also.

So a guy will spend hundreds of hours just fixing fitment issues such as incorrect firewall and dash holes, fender to tub angles, width and length, hat channel placement, you name it.

Some get these tubs, install them and never give it a second thought. For anyone doing a correct restoration a reproduction tub may not be for you unless you want to spend an exorbitant amount of time fixing the wrongs.

OP, buy repair panels (patch panels) and save what you can of the original tub. :)
Bill H.

"Each shall seek his own kind, in other words, a bird may love a fish but where would they build a home together?" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

2 Timothy 3:1-5

Investig8
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Investig8 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:36 pm

Ray,
I did use only Metal 2 Metal body filler, I agree it is certainly the best option. Also, I would love to share some photos, but don't know how to post them on this site, can I just copy and paste?
Thanks, Dennis
Dennis Haas
1952 M-38
1953 M-37

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:30 pm

Investig8 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:36 pm
Ray,
I did use only Metal 2 Metal body filler, I agree it is certainly the best option. Also, I would love to share some photos, but don't know how to post them on this site, can I just copy and paste?
Thanks, Dennis
Hello Dennis,

Yes that is good stuff, the best !
There is a size limit to pictures getting posted.
Using a smart phone :
To post pictures, what I do is take a picture with my phone, I have A Samsung.
Then I text it to myself, that automatically reduces the size of the pic.
Then I save it to my phone, from the text message,( a button appears on my phone to "save" image.)
Then I open up the G503 page, and on your post, at the bottom is a button that says " attachments".
Click on that, then a button appears that says add files.
Click that, and it takes you to your saved pics on your phone.
Then you can choose the pics you want to post by clicking on them, and then click on the "select" button, and they will automatically appear under your G503 post.

The images list will say " place in line"
click on that and it will put that picture, up to 10, into your post.

You can hit the preview button to see how they look, and add written descriptions for them as well.
Then click on the 'Submit' button, and they will be posted on your post !

If you have a desk top computer, you can email the pics to yourself, then save them to the computer, and follow the same procedure, by clicking on them to select for your post, just click on the "Open" buton once you click on the photo file you want, and it will automatically put it below you post, then you place it "In Line"

On Apple phones, things are a little easier, as when you take a pic you want to post, you can follow the procedures, and Apple says you can select small, medium, or actual size pics to post.
I think medium size will be under the size requirement for the G503 site,if not, select small, and go from there.

Good luck !!
Resized_20230320_084856.jpg
Resized_20230320_084906.jpg
The above pics were posted from my desk top computer, my new 1944 GPW :D

Best Regards,
Ray

Investig8
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Investig8 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:04 pm

OK, here goes... Hope all enjoys a brief history of my work to date
IMG_0728.JPG
Basket case when purchased
IMG_1167.jpg
On the way to fabricator
IMG_7926.jpg
New floor, now on to sandblaster
IMG_1415.jpg
Frame completed
IMG_1539.jpg
Bottom completed and undercoated
IMG_1543.jpg
Glazing putty over body work
IMG_1542.jpg
Glazing putty over body work
Dennis Haas
1952 M-38
1953 M-37

JMZ421
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by JMZ421 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:55 am

Very nice job. It appears(hard to see) you have those reinforcement plates welded around the top rear quarter panels. Leave them on there!! as that is another sure sign of an original tub. John

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:04 am

Investig8 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:04 pm
OK, here goes... Hope all enjoys a brief history of my work to date
Hello,

Great work !!

Saving an original tub is always nice !
You will have great enjoyment with your jeep when done when the jeep adventures start.

Keep us posted !

Best Regards,
Ray

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:09 pm

Now that I see pics of your tub, it definitely can be saved. Why did you paint your frame and body black? That ain't right. M38s were primed with the same color as top coat.
Frame tag welded on? M38 frame tags are aluminum screwed on and are easily removed.
Everyone wants to bad mouth MDJ body parts; come on over and I will show you 5 of them. True, they aren't perfect, but neither is is welding a bunch of panels together and calling it original. You make the new one look like your original one. Nothing is just drop on and bolt.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”