Emergency Brake Return Spring Bracket Measurements

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
Prairie Boy
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Emergency Brake Return Spring Bracket Measurements

Post by Prairie Boy » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:13 pm

Hello:

I am missing the Emergency Brake Return Spring Bracket on My M38 and would like to fabricate one. does anyone have the measurements, angle and thickness of material they could pass on. thanks in advance.

also looking for the height of front right leg of driver's side seat frame (short one on over tranny hump - from top of curve to floor.

thanks in advance

PB

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: Emergency Brake Return Spring Bracket Measurements

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:17 am

This? It is 2 3/4ths tall and the arms are one inch wide. It is welded on, but this one broke off and I screwed it back on.
You do realize that there is nothing on an M38 (or any other Military jeep) called an Emergency Brake. They are hand brakes. I always tell guys this lest they think that in a real emergency situation, this will help at all. I plan to jump out. For a non emergency stop it might work.
Attachments
Bracket - 1.jpeg
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:23 am

Drivers seat; ok, I have to trudge through the snow to the barn for that. Wait, over.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Prairie Boy
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Prairie Boy » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:04 pm

thank you very much! that is excellent...that gives me a pretty good idea the height and width to look at cutting. when you say 1 inch wide on arms/wings...is that the narrow part? the reason I ask is that the widest part looks as wide as the hat channel...Can I ask your input on the width of the narrowest part of the arm and the widest part? it will give me a good idea of the angle there....it almost looks like 60 degrees.

what gauge of metal do you think that is made from? it almost looks 14 or 16 gauge from pics, but not sure. don't worry about the height of the driver's side leg....I have someone tell me from top of bend to floor it is about 8.25 inches, which when I eyeball where my seat frame is without it, it looks about right for it to be level.

You are right about the hand brake. I had a heck of a time trying to figure out what this is called.

thanks again.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:36 pm

It's all in your TM and SNL, what stuff is called.
Yes the bracket is about as wide as the hat channel; it is about 1 1/4 inch wide at the wide ends. Metal? IDK. Sheet metal. 16 gauge maybe.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:05 am

You may not be aware, but a reproduction spring bracket is available from Walck's for $12.95.
https://walcks4wd.com/Emergency-Brake-R ... _1710.html

Ron D
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Ron D » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:53 am

Chuck W. wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:05 am
You may not be aware, but a reproduction spring bracket is available from Walck's for $12.95.
Mentioned that to him 3 weeks ago over on the willysmjeeps site.
Not interested.
Wants to make one.
Ron D
1951 M38
1951 M100

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:58 am

OK, sorry I mentioned it.

Ron D
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Ron D » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:38 am

I'm glad you did.
It's what the forum is for.
Some folks who need one might prefer to buy it rather than make it.
Ron D
1951 M38
1951 M100

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:04 pm

Ok, I went out and measured the drivers seat right foot for the OP; hope he wants that; it is 9 inches tall. From the bottom of the flat foot, to the top of the seat tube. However, you could also just use a level and make sure the seat is level and make a foot to match. As for the bend, you can see from pictures, and of course, it has to clear your gas tank; there is a limited foot print for it to fit onto. Bend, flatten the foot, and weld.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Prairie Boy
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Prairie Boy » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:31 am

thanks all for the input and help. really appreciate it.

Dpcd67. appreciate the measurements...just to confirm the 2 3/4 tall if from the underside of the floor, not from the underside of the hat channel, correct? IIf that is correct, I think I have enough to be on my way...

thank you for the measurement of the drivers side right foot....I know now it is between 8.25 to 9 inch in height. i need the measurement because I am actually redoing the left side as it was rotten. the seat frames took a beating and were bent up from use, so any measurements are a welcome treat to help get mine looking close to what it should be.

I appreciate the links to vendors and pics too. It helps alot. I have been getting what I have to, but if I can make it, and I found it really rewarding to make things like rear crossmember, fender walls, rear valance, and mid riser. it helps me save dedicate budget to the items I need to purchase.

really appreciate the forums and wealth of knowledge and the support from the community.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:10 am

2.75 is the height of the bracket itself; not the hat channel. But really, it doesn't matter if you are off by a quarter inch or more; this thing just holds the spring.
The seat frame is 9 inches from the center floor to the top of the seat tube. Make your feet to achieve that.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Prairie Boy
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Prairie Boy » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:43 am

many thanks to dpcd67 and others here for the bracket and drivers seat information. I still have a little tweaking but I think they have turned out okay.
the drivers seat frame not only had a fabricated leg, but I also replaced the frame portion on the left side.
Attachments
driver seat  leg.jpg
emergency brake spring bracket fab..jpg

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”