M38 Clutch problem

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
Cannon Cocker
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
M38 Clutch problem

Post by Cannon Cocker » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:43 am

Approximately 2 years ago, I completed a total rebuild of my M38. I mean everything. It's performed perfectly until now. All of a sudden, excessive foot pressure to actuate the clutch is required. I mean excessive! I've checked and rechecked the linkage, and examined, via the bellhousing inspection port, the clutch fork, throw-out bearing and pressure plate components. Obviously, I can't examine the disc w/o teardown, but it too is new.
When the pedal is depressed, the pressure plate is released as it is supposed to. The only thing that I've noticed that may be incorrect is the fingers on the pressure plate appear to be "low" in the plate assembly. All clutch assembly parts are new. Flywheel was resurfaced on rebuild. Estimated mileage since rebuild is less than 500 miles. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: M38 Clutch problem

Post by dpcd67 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:47 am

Just sympathy because I know this is frustrating. No constructive ideas above guesses. And the fact that you will have to bust it apart. It's ok to be in that river in Egypt.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Cannon Cocker
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
Re: M38 Clutch problem

Post by Cannon Cocker » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:38 pm

Just hoping you had a miracle pill for me. If only I can get these old bones to help me one more time. My dad always said "youth is wasted on the young!" I now see the wisdom of his words. Thanks

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”