M38 Carb modification

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
Heapofajeep
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Re: M38 Carb modification

Post by Heapofajeep » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:45 pm

Ill try to post some pics. This is honestly super interesting to me. That is the carb that been on it for years. I can’t help but wonder what happened to the original or how my grandfather ended up with a W-O carb off a WW2 jeep on his M38. I agree with y’all. I am going to have to get a YS637.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: M38 Carb modification

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:13 pm

I told you what happened to the original; M38 carbs are vacuum operated and get gummed up easily and have no mechanical system to pump fuel inside, like WW2 and CJ carbs have a piston that you can pump with the gas pedal. So, they get replaced with something else. Quite common. I have never bought an M38 that still had the original carb on it. Or that worked. They get sent to Scoutpilot; then they work but never leave ethanol gas in them for very long; they form little jellyfish and gum up the works. I know this from doing it.
How did he get a WW2 carb? Simple; they made ten times more WW2 jeeps than M38s. That carb was designed to work under water, as were all M38s. A bad idea.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”