Crank Pulley Leak

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
Buster1
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Crank Pulley Leak

Post by Buster1 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:22 pm

Hey guys, my next project in getting the old beast tidied up needs to be the leaky crank pulley. It leaks 3-4 good drops after every drive, makes a mess down there flinging oil off the pulley, and then oozes a little more oil over the next day or two.

In researching the engine diagrams, it looks like there is a circular seal behind the pulley. Is that the typical culprit?

I am not an engine guy (but learning, and just overhauled most of my drivetrain and speedo) and it seems maybe I should pull the pulley, and get at that seal. Is it easily replaceable?

My pulley is also a double pulley and it wobbles pretty bad too. I’m going to replace it. It’s a double pulley and my water pump and alternator ONLY align with the outer pulley, so I think I need another double... right? I’m not sure I can go with a single and move that water pump pulley rearward to align.

Thanks!
07D24D0B-8E23-4003-B022-F58FDD808499.jpeg
USAF Retired

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: Crank Pulley Leak

Post by dpcd67 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:07 pm

Your TM 9-1804A will show a seal pressed in the timing gear cover. That must be replaced if that is where it is leaking, and also you must permatex the inside of the pully on the crank too. It's an easy job. Relatively. Lots of bolts. New gasket and seal.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Buster1
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Buster1 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:26 am

Thanks for the advice. It’s nice to have some practical insight on top the parts diagrams.
USAF Retired

Warren Duchesne
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Warren Duchesne » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:32 am

Make sure to check the seal surface on the pulley where the lip of the seal runs. It must be perfect. No groove, no pits , nicks etc if it isn’t perfect install a speedi sleeve. I have them for all locations on most military vehicles. Let me know if you need one . Thanks

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”