Transfer Case Output Shaft Bad Find

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
Buster1
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Transfer Case Output Shaft Bad Find

Post by Buster1 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:01 pm

Well, after getting the front output shaft bearing seal out and ready to slap in my new Ron F double lipped seal, I uncovered this in the transfer case. Appears to be old damage. Look at the 6 o’clock position.

The spline shaft still turns like it’s on butter.

What are your thoughts? Will this contribute to leaks? It seems like it’s okay and is behind the new seal and yoke I’m installing.
Attachments
D8E043B7-EB92-4AD7-AEAF-18873726CE0F.jpeg
USAF Retired

JMZ421
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Transfer Case Output Shaft Bad Find

Post by JMZ421 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:26 am

I am sure the Army would replace that. That being stated you could try to place a round gasket material the same width of that piece missing then smear permatex all around then drive in the new seal. The gasket may prevent the permatex from going into that bearing. Then smear permatex all around the outside of the seal. IDK, maybe try that. John

Buster1
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Re: Transfer Case Output Shaft Bad Find

Post by Buster1 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:03 pm

Thanks John. It appears that the broken metal lip is not structural, and no bearings touch it. I looked at the transfer case exploded diagrams and I believe it’s just a backing plate (essentially) to hold the bearing seal from going in too far or deep. That’s it. As nasty as it looks, I think we’re okay for now and the new seal will ride just fine. I will put a little permatex/RTV along the bottom of the opening before placing the seal just in case.

Thanks for the help and advice!
USAF Retired

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”