Size of modern tires for original wheels?

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
sweetjeep
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Size of modern tires for original wheels?

Post by sweetjeep » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:00 am

I am sure this has been covered plenty, but my search-fu is failing me (turning up far too many non-relevant topics).

Can anyone suggest the max width tire I can put on the original wheels? And anyone have any suggestions of what tires they are running?

Basically, I have some NDCCs of indeterminate age (NOT LESS than 20 years old and likely over 30) and I have been driving the hell out of the Jeep this year and I'd like to decrease the beating I take with some rubber that's not made from stone and I don't necessarily want to run a set of new NDCCs. And I don't really want to get new wheels. However, if the stock wheels really limit what I can run, I am not opposed to a new set of wheels like a set of "wagon" wheels or something.

Thoughts?

Thx

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: Size of modern tires for original wheels?

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:08 am

That is a question for your local tire shop. There are good radial tires that will fit. Cross referenced to 700x16, into the modern way of measuring tires.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

sweetjeep
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by sweetjeep » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:41 am

What I've determined thus far is that you can run, roughly a 185ish+. It's the narrow rims that are the killer. It seems that the original rims are about 4.5" wide and most modern (off road biased) tires want a 5 minimum.

That said.. "what's the worst that can happen?"

I did find that (I forget who) makes a clone of the original wheels in a 16" but a 5.5 width rim, which is likely the direction I'll head.

sweetjeep
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by sweetjeep » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:35 am

For future readers.. the width of the original wheels (4.5") limits you to weird size road tires. Nothing even off-road looking, never mind off-roadable. While going legitimate 4 wheeling is pretty low on my priority list for this guy, it's the look I'd like to maintain.

I did find that Omix (I think) makes a stock looking wheel that's 5.5" wide and allows for up to a 215 width tire.

Personally, at this point I think I'll just get a new set of NDCCs and call it a day and hope that modern construction of an old looking tire grants some of the ride improvement I'm trying to get.

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”