M38 Dashboard into a CJ3A

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
AgusWernli
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

M38 Dashboard into a CJ3A

Post by AgusWernli » Mon May 17, 2021 10:33 am

Hey,

I am planning to transform some stuff of my cj3a. I really want to have a Glove Box in my Jeep. I saw yesterday that mdjuan is selling m38s dashboards. So, i have a few questions. Would i have to make some modifications in my cj to fit m38s dashboard? Where i can find any blueprint of the M38s glove compartment? Thanks!

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: M38 Dashboard into a CJ3A

Post by dpcd67 » Mon May 17, 2021 3:56 pm

You don't need any modifications and you don't need any blueprints; the M38 dash will fit into the same opening as your CJ3A.
I have done what you want to do. Cut and weld in.
The M38 glove box is in 3 parts; the door, the floor, and the left side. All three pieces are bolted on; no welding required. Oh, and the door striker, screwed into the dash. And the door push button knob. And the dash panel for the gauges; I don't know if it comes with the M38 dash.
You will also have to move your parking brake from the center to the left side, which will require a hole in your fire wall and weld up your old one, and move the bracket.
Anyway, what you want to do is easy.
I couldn't find any M38 dashes for sale though.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

AgusWernli
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by AgusWernli » Tue May 18, 2021 5:41 am

Hey dpcd67,

It is always a plessure when u reply my post. I found this dash from mdjuan. https://mdjuan.com.ph/product/assy-dashboard-m38/
The price is 52, however i have to add shipping, maybe 20 more or something. I cannot find any photo of a m38 glove compartment to see how it really is

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Tue May 18, 2021 8:59 am

You do realize that I make most of this stuff up as I type it!
I will take pictures of the glove box bottom and sides for you. They would be easy to make, except except the bottom has some corrugations in it which actually are not necessary anyway.
The bottom is sort of triangular shaped as you can imagine; it fits in the corner of the cowl. And they are screwed into the firewall.
I see this dash panel is the later type with the big hole in it, so you will need the data plate backing plate to cover it up which I assume you would do anyway because the brass data plates look cool.
You might ask them about the M38 glove box side and bottom; they do make them because the bodies come with them installed; I have one here now.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Tue May 18, 2021 4:54 pm

Here are pics showing the assembly, the bottom of the floor, and the side panel.
Attachments
m38 box3 - 1.jpeg
m38 box2 - 1.jpeg
m38 box - 1.jpeg
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

AgusWernli
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by AgusWernli » Thu May 20, 2021 7:11 am

You are the best! Thanks for everything. This is my Jeep https://imgur.com/a/9W78CZo

I dont like the dashboard that it has beucause it looks handmade. Also i dont want to ruin this dashboard by cutting it to add the glove box. Maybe i also add the fuel tank and the grille pivots. However, Thanks for all!!!

Maybe the other nostalgic problem is that this CJ doesnt have any VIN number, so i cannot know which exact model it is.

Also, does the floor and the walls of the glove compartment are attached to the firewall?

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun May 23, 2021 6:28 am

Yes, I said that above; they are screwed into the firewall to hold them in place.
Nice jeep you have. Looks like it is already well on it's way to being an M38. Yes put the large mouth gas tank in it.
Your dash already looks like an M38; just add the glove box.
Get the front tie down shackles and put them on the bumper. Put the folding grill hinges on.
Doesn't matter what model it was; it has a CJ3A windshield, which you need to install the brackets on the front that keep the vent door from opening. and remove the latch.
Cut out your hood on the right side and add the slave cable receptacle.
Get the green book; M38 Reference Guide. It will show you all the differences.
It will pass for an M38.
Paint it green.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

AgusWernli
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by AgusWernli » Sun May 23, 2021 3:42 pm

Dpcd67,

Next month i am travelling to the US, so i will buy that book. Some days ago, i travelled 300km to see the jeep, its a CJ3A, the housewheel lenght is 32''. I would buy the M38 dash from MDJuan, an add some other stuff. is there any way to add the large mouth gas to my cj tank?

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu May 27, 2021 6:54 am

Easier to buy a new tank; finding just the mouth part would be hard. Then you have to weld it on. They sell the large body openings.
I will sell you my set of glove box parts if you want. I didn't want to ship them because I read that Argentine customs and mail handlers all are like the Mafia and will charge you $100 just to get. package.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”