Gel battery..no juice

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
Jerseyhawg
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Gel battery..no juice

Post by Jerseyhawg » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:03 pm

Ok, I know I ask alot of questions. But I am learning on this M38. I have been going for a 2 to 3 mile drive everyday. Like small shakedown cruises. Its been cold at night. I jumped in today and after a few hits on the starter switch the battery was dead. I left nothing on. The prior owner has 2 expensive gel batteries in it. They ARE DATED 2016. Warm weather is around the corner. I dont want to cruise somewhere and get stuck. Would you guys try to charge these? If so, I guess one at a time. How do you charge 24V batteries?

Or should I just put 2 new batteries in it? If so, what brand battery and what size (CCA), would you guys recommend?
Glenn
1952 M38

Jerseyhawg
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Re: Gel battery..no juice

Post by Jerseyhawg » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:18 pm

Dam it. Was just looking with a flashlight. I left the panel light switch on.

I did not disconnect the batteries. I put a 7.5 mA Battery Tender on it. Its automatic everything. I hope it boosts it enough to start in the morning and take it for a cruise to charge it. The batteries in it seem to be those blue top Optima ones. Very expensive gel type. I would like to get a few more miles out of them.

Even though I cant read the light switch. Now I know a bit more where those switch positions go.

I did not want to chance putting a big battery charger on it. And screw something up.
Glenn
1952 M38

JMZ421
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by JMZ421 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:21 am

I would remove the batteries and take them to Autozone and get them charged. It's free here in Ohio, not sure what the deal is in NJ. John

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:02 am

Minor point, driving two or three miles doesn't put back enough charge that the starter took to crank the vehicle, so if that's all you do with it you will definitely need a charger to augment your short trips.

Tip was learned from from ""Say, Smokey..." column in Popular Science magazine, where an elderly lady only drove a mile or two to town a few days a week and had her batteries always dying. Just not a far enough trip to charge the battery after she would drive such a short distance.

Watch your amp meter, if the needle is still in the positive while driving as you get home, it's still trying to charge the batteries.
Charged would be just in the positive side while running at about 1500rpm and drop to zero when idled down.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

JMZ421
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by JMZ421 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:51 am

Glen, this topic is discussed many times. I purchased a 24 volt battery tender from a company called "BATTERY TENDER". Starting with freshly charged batteries, every night I connect the charger to the battery ground on the under the hood battery box and connect the red connection to the starter post nut. This way you do not have to mess with that battery in the cowl. In addition, I purchased one of those battery cut-off switches and connected that to the negative post on the under the hood battery. This way, even though I have NO battery drains in my system, I feel my batteries are protected. Plus, in the hot summer days I always lift my hood to cool the engine bay and unscrew the cut-off switch.

Now, my M38 is not a daily driver and I do the aforementioned because batteries are expensive and my process is not difficult at all. I have learned that if you do not have FRESH batteries the charging system just will not work correctly. So, I do what I stated and my batteries last me. Also, that cut-off switch is handy when I start wrenching on things so as not to fry some circuit. That you do not want to do. Those cut-offs are available at walmart and are cheap, located where the battery charges are. Hope that helps, John

Jerseyhawg
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Jerseyhawg » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:12 pm

John / fellas. Thanks for your replies. I did research and found many answers on quite a few sites. Battery tenders, and I have a few, and will for sure install a cut off switch. Thanks for that tip. But it seems gel batterys are a differant breed of animal and dont take to regular chargers very well. A conflict with how they are made. There was a particular charger mentioned a few times. Worked very well with a gel battery. A BMK charger, same principal as the Battery Tender, just has a bit more going for it. I ordered one today. Will have it tomorrow. I will put the BMK o ring contacts on it and leave them on. Keep the battery fresh for my jaunts. Will report on how this new charger works and leave comments for anyone else that has a gel battery.

Thanks again to everyone.
Glenn
1952 M38

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”