Door safety straps

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
Jerseyhawg
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Door safety straps

Post by Jerseyhawg » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:30 pm

Were door safety straps ever installed on the M38 jeeps? I have only seen them on one M38 and I have a feeling the owner put them on.
Glenn
1952 M38

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: Door safety straps

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:19 pm

Glad you asked that question. Answer is, they were not part of the M38; a serious mistake. Until 4 years ago when I issued myself an urgent safety MWO, by virtue of my authority as a former TACOM guy, and applied them to my M38, and my M606. I have another late 51 M38 that will get them.
They look cool, serve a function, and I like them. And I am used to them; the 151s had them, and I spend literally a couple of decades in them, with my leg resting on the safety strap. (during my Army time)
All jeeps need them.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Jerseyhawg
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Jerseyhawg » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:42 pm

dpcd67 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:19 pm
Glad you asked that question. Answer is, they were not part of the M38; a serious mistake. Until 4 years ago when I issued myself an urgent safety MWO, by virtue of my authority as a former TACOM guy, and applied them to my M38, and my M606. I have another late 51 M38 that will get them.
They look cool, serve a function, and I like them. And I am used to them; the 151s had them, and I spend literally a couple of decades in them, with my leg resting on the safety strap. (during my Army time)
All jeeps need them.
Would you mind posting a picture or 2? I would like to see how you installed them. I know theres junk for sale, and quality items for sale. I know YOU KNOW junk from the good stuff. Imho, the attachment point on the passenger side, that glovebox is taking space. Curious on this.

What do you think of seat belts in the front. My wife is pushing. I think those door safety guards are enough. Imho. I have been researching it, the group seems divided. On many sites.
Glenn
1952 M38

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:52 pm

I'll post a close up tomorrow.
Very easy to install; drill two holes in your dash and the places are already located for you on all jeep dashes.
It takes up no space.
Seat belts in a jeep just create death traps unless you have a roll cage too; that is what we did to the M151s. And the door straps are useless if you are actually trying to save your life. They are just for looks to me.
If your wife is concerned with your health she would not even consider letting you drive an old jeep in any kind of traffic. If that stoned 35 year old who is texting hits you, you are dead. I used to drive them as a daily driver across the I74 bridge at 60 MPH. I no longer do that.
You are better off jumping out.
Get them from Ron; 3 pieces per side; You need two eye bolts, and two loops and bolts that bolt into your top bow brackets, (loops come with the bolts) so all jeeps are easily fitted. Plus the straps.
Attachments
M38 Body - 1.jpg
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Jerseyhawg
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Jerseyhawg » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:43 pm

dpcd67 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:52 pm
I'll post a close up tomorrow.
Very easy to install; drill two holes in your dash and the places are already located for you on all jeep dashes.
It takes up no space.
Seat belts in a jeep just create death traps unless you have a roll cage too; that is what we did to the M151s. And the door straps are useless if you are actually trying to save your life. They are just for looks to me.
If your wife is concerned with your health she would not even consider letting you drive an old jeep in any kind of traffic. If that stoned 35 year old who is texting hits you, you are dead. I used to drive them as a daily driver across the I74 bridge at 60 MPH. I no longer do that.
You are better off jumping out.
Get them from Ron; 3 pieces per side; You need two eye bolts, and two loops and bolts that bolt into your top bow brackets, (loops come with the bolts) so all jeeps are easily fitted. Plus the straps.
Thanks. Shes worried about her, not me. My old 42 jeep she used to slid on the vinyl seats. That strap or seat belt is a safety "feel" for her. For the 48 years we are together I have been into Harleys and old cars. No power steering, brakes, seat belts and such. So she wont keep me from this. I like mechanical things, part of my life. The only thing I recently stopped was riding my bike and selling my Harley dresser in the fall. The Harely days are in the history books now. To many years cheating death.

Thank you again for your comments and advice.

👌
Glenn
1952 M38

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:21 am

Not sure you need to copy every full previous posting. I think it just wastes band width on the site. It's easy enough to follow the thread.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:22 am

Here is the location of the eye bolts; very easy to locate and drill for them. Also, a picture of two different colors of straps; the more khaki one is the one from Ron, the green one is from Weebee. Last is a pic of my M606 dash; you can see the eye bolt locations. And you can see the M606 dash; this one was rebuilt at KIA Industries in Korea for the ROK Army. Some Mitsubishi J series features; they also used them at the same time. In fact, the engine is number JH4 39570.
Attachments
Door Strap Loop - 5.jpg
Door Strap Loop - 4.jpg
Door Strap Loop - 3.jpg
Last edited by dpcd67 on Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:23 am

Attachments
Door Strap Loop - 2.jpg
Door Strap Loop - 1.jpg
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Jerseyhawg
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Jerseyhawg » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:34 am

Thats great. Perfect, just what I needed. Thanks.

👍

Oh, saving on the bandwidth now.
Glenn
1952 M38

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:09 pm

Perfect.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch