Transmission/transfer bolt torque specs

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
Scott in NM
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Transmission/transfer bolt torque specs

Post by Scott in NM » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:30 pm

Anyone know the bolt torque specs when mounting the transfer to the transmission? More importantly, where can I find them? Couldn't find them in the manuals.

Scott

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: Transmission/transfer bolt torque specs

Post by dpcd67 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:24 pm

It's another one of those "good shop practice" things that comes from training.
The Universal TM says to install it in the reverse order of how you removed it, which is useless.
I have installed many of them, and never had one come loose yet.
Just tighten the bolts. How tight is tight? I do it by feel.
The WW2 TM says to Secure the 5 cap screws....
My tank crewmen in one unit used to use what they called "tanker's torque" on center guides and end connectors. Tighten it till it squeaks, then half a turn more. Do not use that.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:46 pm

Having worked for Caterpillar for 36 years, I am a firm believer in using a torque wrench. If there is no published torque, you can torque by bolt size. Here's a link to a good chart you can use:
https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-info ... orque.aspx

Scott in NM

Post by Scott in NM » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:29 am

Hate to bubba it but the torque chart will have to do. Interesting there is nothing published.

Scott

warbrds

Post by warbrds » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:52 pm

Chuck W. wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:46 pm
Having worked for Caterpillar for 36 years, I am a firm believer in using a torque wrench. If there is no published torque, you can torque by bolt size. Here's a link to a good chart you can use:
https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-info ... orque.aspx
Working in aviation for 40 plus years, on the little stuff and transport category, and most all in between , yes, firm believer in a torque wrench and the proper torque for the fasteners used.

Put the breaker bar away. Do it the correct way.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:41 am

You two guys are the only two who ever torqued those bolts in the history of the Jeep, so it must not be rocket motor critical. I have done a dozen at least and none has fallen off yet. I'll keep you posted when one does.
I have the advantage in having no formal training in anything, so I am unencumbered with either farm equipment or airplane related skills.
If it was that important, it would be documented and specified. Not something just overlooked for all these decades.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:18 am

I tracked failures in our company for several years, and the number one cause of failure was incorrect torque/bolts left loose. We implemented a program of mandatory bolt torque, torque wrench calibration and monthly torque wrench testing. I was surprised by several things, first, the number of mechanics who did not understand bolt torque; second, the number of "bad" torque wrenches we had in our system. Once the program was in place, torque specs posted and torque wrenches repaired and calibrated, our failure rate dropped to almost zero. Made a believer out of me. Do as you wish, but I'll continue to use my torque wrenches!

warbrds

Post by warbrds » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:34 am

Yes
Proper torque, certified tools. Part of my jobs have been verifying mechanics work, including using the correct spec and tools for the job.

As we affectionately called the Jesus nut on a helicopter, I am sure if you did fly in one, you would like to know it was torqued correctly, we also used torque multipliers

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”