Transmission and transfer case leaks

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
jescast16
G-Civilian

Transmission and transfer case leaks

Post by jescast16 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:23 am

I purchased a rebuilt transmission and transfer case for my 1950 m-38 and had it installed and both still will leak a few drops of gear oil I contacted kaiser Willy where I purchased them and they said that is normal and said that they leaked from the factory when they were built is this true and how to fix the problem

JMZ421
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Transmission and transfer case leaks

Post by JMZ421 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:22 pm

I assume you already checked to make sure all the filler plugs are tight and speedometer connection is tight!! Did you install the YOKE correctly and use permatex on the yoke splines with a new seal? I hope the leak is not from the shaft upfront. But, you would assume the rebuilder did that correctly. John

rgmutchler
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by rgmutchler » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:31 am

It is hard to comment on what did or did not leak new 80 yrs ago, but I have rebuilt my transmission and transfer case. I did have some leak issues from the seals around the front and rear yokes for the drive shafts. I had used Timken seals and new yokes. But the seals were not tight enough around the yokes and leaked. I replaced those seals with NOS seals I purchased from Mullins and no more leak. Comparing the seals on the yoke before installation revealed that the NOS seals were much tighter on the the yokes. I have also seen some that used unmarked seals that were identified to me as Chinese imports on rebuilds that leaked. I would wonder who rebuilt the transmission and transfer case for KW and what quality seals were used.
RGMutchler
M274A5
M38

Cal.Bar
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Cal.Bar » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:58 am

LONG story short. YES, it is NORMAL for them to seap and leak (a bit).

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:51 pm

Should have bought them from Ron Fitzpatrick.
As for leaking; no they should not "leak". Review your TM definitions of weep, seep, and leak. Now, class 1, 2 and 3 leaks.
Major components that leaked were job ordered to the DS Mainentance Unit for replacement. If it leaks, it is deadlined and will get you in trouble on an IG.
Having been there many times; Not fun.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:40 pm

Just about all the bolts that hold the Transmission and Transfer together will have a drop or two seepage due to "wicking" of the paper gasket, how much wicking is up to the quality of the gasket. Another source of drips are the Transmission to Transfer bolt threads. A cure for sealing the bolts that ae in contact wih the gear oil is to apply Permatex #3 liquid, or Permatex #2 Non Hardening. These two Permatex sealers have been around for 90 years and are still as good or better than some Loc-Tite sealers. My MB X-Fer as had drops hanging from the transfer bolt heads from the day I installed it new in 1971, and any loss due to gasket or bolts is not measureable.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:30 pm

If a drip falls while the inspection is being conducted, that will be classified as a Leak, and your vehicle is deadlined. Not a career enhancer.
Seeps, and weeps, are ok.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”