Introduction and M38A1 Starter Removal Question

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
linklaw
G-Private
G-Private
Introduction and M38A1 Starter Removal Question

Post by linklaw » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:57 pm

Hello mates, I am from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and am a longtime owner of vintage British cars. I have had a number of newer Jeeps over the years but now have my first military jeep. I acquired a 1952 M38A1 a couple weeks ago. The jeep was restored at an air force base in 1968 and hasn't been touched since. It has little aluminum tags throughout with the dates the various parts were rehabbed. I bought it off an estate in Western Pennsylvania, the prior owner having acquired it in 1990. It is a nice jeep, if I could get it running again. I started it and had it running after replacement of the batteries last week. It stalled and then we were unable to get the starter to move. So this weekend the prior owner's son and I went through the troubleshooting list and it appears the starter has an open circuit. We disconnected the cables, removed the three bolts and are now stuck trying to get it out for rebuilding. There isn't enough room to slide the starter toward the front of the engine without it hitting the generator and there is not enough room to drop it out the bottom. We ran out of time today so I thought I would pose this question to the forum to make sure I am seeing the situation clearly. Am I correct that the generator needs to come out, or at least be slid forward to remove the starter? The jeep is 24v, has a heater and slave connection on the side, so things are a little tight. If I am missing something, or if someone has a simpler way to get the starter out, please let me know.

John Linkosky

linklaw
G-Private
G-Private
Re: Introduction and M38A1 Starter Removal Question

Post by linklaw » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:40 pm

I ended uo removing the heater kit and generator to slide the starter motor out. The heater wasn't bad to remove, just 4 bolts to remove the heater box and motor, 5 or six bolts to remove the heater tray, a nut to remove the brace and three bolts to remove the generator. Going to get it the starter rebuilt.

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”