A Tale of Two Oil Pumps

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
dpcd67
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

A Tale of Two Oil Pumps

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:01 am

With apologies to Mr Dickens.
I have my M38 running great and it is finished except that the temp gauge (two of them) doesn't work but that is another story.
My engine, RMC 56789, came with the usual aluminum oil pump. Thinking it was cool, I decided to re-use it. When I first started it up last week, I had 35 pounds of oil pressure; low for a new engine. So I decided to get a new Melling one. When I got it, the gears inside clacked and were not smooth at all. But that is ok.
Put that in yesterday, and now have 50 pounds of pressure, even at idle. For those who have not changed an oil pump, you should make note of the tang slot when you remove it so you can index the new one in the same place. Saves a lot of time.
Everyone on G503 already knows that though.
Just a news story for your morning.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Ben Dover
Gee Addict

Re: A Tale of Two Oil Pumps

Post by Ben Dover » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:40 am

The Melling is the way to go, many choose to install the original 60 year old pump for aesthetic or financial reasons. The Oil pump is the heartbeat of your engine, why not give your Jeep the best shot.
Those Crown boxed pumps the dealers sell? They are Mellings. :wink:
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”