A Different Canvas Storage Question

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
A Different Canvas Storage Question

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:24 pm

How/Where is the best way/place to store my M38 canvas top, side curtains and doors? Should they lay flat or be hung up? Should they be wrapped up in something or left in the open? Hot barn or cool basement? I don't want the plastic window material to turn yellow and I'd like the canvas to last as long as possible. Thanks for any tips or tricks to preserve the top components.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: A Different Canvas Storage Question

Post by dpcd67 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:02 pm

Definitely not the hot barn. I think. Cool basement is best, and a dry basement would be better. I store them in garages; hot as hell in summer and -20 in winter. Best would be an environmentally controlled storage area. Keep it in your bedroom if you can stand the smell.
I would call the canvas vendor and ask them.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:26 pm

I just replaced my 25 year old summer Beachwood top with a full enclosure from David P. and I want it to last at least as long as the first one. I've had some issues with a white mold on the canvas in the past, don't know if it's due to heat, moisture, or both..... or neither!
Actually, the top and side curtains came from Dave, the left door I have had for years, and I recently found an NOS cover for my right frame.
Last edited by Chuck W. on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:35 am

Chuck,
The cotton duck that I use is a Mil-Spec that is treated for Mildew, Flame and Water Resistance. As it is a Type 1 finish (wet), the solvents and treatments are not flashed off by baking (as in a Type 2 finish). In Ohio, I would back that into the garage for winter, just like it is, and not worry about it. I don't see how putting it in a well ventilated garage in MA (Middle Alabama) would be any different, unless you have the tin roof sweating issues like Mississippi. I do always advise people that a climate controlled area (like your bedroom) is the best bet.
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:13 am

Thanks, David. I am really happy with the fit and the look. Still need to do some work on the support rods. As far as storage, what should I do when I take it off, fold it up, lay it flat, put anything over the plastic "windows", put it in a plastic bag? Thanks again!

I think if I tried to put it in my bedroom, I'd be sleeping in the garage with the jeep. Wife is NOT a fan of canvas! (or anything OD, for that matter)

Ken Perkins
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Ken Perkins » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:57 am

a lot of good info by googleing boat canvas care...hanging or laying flat with towels between the windows side curtains and doors works for me. should clean windows with micro fiber cloths. Dave's advice to leave it on the jeep is probably best...but, out here in Cali I don't need my full enclosure much
1951 M38 #22936
1951 M100 DUNBAR
1953 M100 DUNBAR
M416B1
2- M762
MVPA #11788
MVCC

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:25 am

Chuck,

If you're talking long term storage, on the jeep is probably the best practice. Short term; hanging is a good option. You can also fold and bag the stuff but I'd isolate the window vinyl from the canvas. If this is left bagged long term, the treatments in the material tend to react with the finish on the hardware. It's also been my experience that mice love this stuff. Folding and bagging then putting it on a shelf makes it quite attractive for the rat bastards. Letting it breath is always my first choice.
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”