New tub vs. saving original

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
Investig8
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Re: New tub vs. saving original

Post by Investig8 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:18 am

I understand that painting the frame and underside of the tub black is not the way it was originally done. However, my thoughts were to preserve this vehicle as well as possible, so I treated the frame with a rust encapsulator and anti-rust undercarriage paint to ensure its long life. The tub was sandblasted, sprayed with an epoxy primer and then the black rubberized undercoating, again to hopefully to ensure the longest life possible.

In answer to the frame tag question, when I took ownership of the jeep it was in pieces and boxes. The frame tag was gone. The dash plates and tag behind the passenger's seat, however, are present and matching. As I don't have enough knowledge about any of the replacement tubs to be judgmental and understand that a tub is arguably NOT original if many of the panels have been replaced. My whole intention is simply to preserve as much of the original as possible due to the history associated with it.
Dennis Haas
1952 M-38
1953 M-37

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:40 am

You did the right thing on the tub; as long as you can do the work, go for it. The first M38 I restored, I had to replace the front floor (MDJ), the floor riser, the bottom 3 inches of the side panels, including the axe indent, the tops of the wheel wells and the tail gate. The rest was ok. However, another one I did, the body was more holes than steel, so I put a whole new tub on it.
As for your undercoating; no comment!
Oh, M38s don't have frame tags so you aren't missing one. They do have a unique frame not used on anything else. A modified Cj3A frame, basically.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:00 pm

Investig8 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:18 am
I understand that painting the frame and underside of the tub black is not the way it was originally done. However, my thoughts were to preserve this vehicle as well as possible, so I treated the frame with a rust encapsulator and anti-rust undercarriage paint to ensure its long life. The tub was sandblasted, sprayed with an epoxy primer and then the black rubberized undercoating, again to hopefully to ensure the longest life possible.

In answer to the frame tag question, when I took ownership of the jeep it was in pieces and boxes. The frame tag was gone. The dash plates and tag behind the passenger's seat, however, are present and matching. As I don't have enough knowledge about any of the replacement tubs to be judgmental and understand that a tub is arguably NOT original if many of the panels have been replaced. My whole intention is simply to preserve as much of the original as possible due to the history associated with it.
Hello,

As far as the undercoating, no problem as many WW2 USMC jeeps were done the same way, to include the underside of the hood !
It will protect your work, and preserve the jeep.

You can paint you frame olive drab once you get ready to put it all together, and you can use spray cans if you want, and it will look great !

Keep us posted, it is always a good thing to see another jeep being saved and restored to be enjoyed !!

Best Regards,

Ray

JMZ421
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by JMZ421 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:49 am

Hi Dennis, as mentioned there is no M38 frame tag. You have that plate mounted near the glove box and the Patent plate(wheel house) that's it. You stated you have both of these items. John

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”