Data plate artwork?

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
sweetjeep
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Data plate artwork?

Post by sweetjeep » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:19 pm

Does anyone know if anyone out there has the data plate(s) available in any kind of digital format? Not pictures, but lineart, SVG, even, maybe a good B&W photograph might work..

I'd like to recreate some. I bought some of the repro plates but they are smooth (not "stamped"/raised lettering) and I don't like that. I'd also like to recreate the alphabet using the original font to create some "new" data plates and I'd like any shortcuts I can find!

If they exist in a useable format, I'm not above bribery or even downright payment!

Yes, I did try scanning in the repro plates, but my scanner doesn't seem to approve and I get some weird artifacts.

Thanks!
Morgan

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Data plate artwork?

Post by Chuck W. » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:57 pm

Why reinvent the wheel? Robert at Dataplates4U produces extremely accurate, high quality plates at great prices. I have used him for several projects and was very happy with his products. You pay for what you get!
https://dataplates4u.com/
North Alabama
Mule Fixer
Dixie Division Military Vehicles Club
former MVPA member

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:58 pm

The Technical Manual usually has an illustration too, but like he said, repops are out there.
waw
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

sweetjeep
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by sweetjeep » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:02 pm

Are any of the repops "textured"?

I bought 2 sets and they are more of.. printed on the brass. As in all smooth, like a printed paper, only on brass. The artwork is accurate, but the repro plate isn't. As opposed to the originals that have all raised text/images and then the black background is recessed. I'll check out Robert and ask the question.

The other reason for the artwork is so I can make plates that say whatever I want. With the original data plates almost every letter is used and I think all 9 (and zero) numbers. So I can take the alphabet and create new plates that say whatever I want with accurate lettering. You know, like when I want to add a "Turbo" data plate/switch like in an 87 Camaro, but classy..ish.

And because I own a laser and often look for projects to use it for.

Lt.Horne
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Lt.Horne » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:11 am

I have repro data plates for sale,
brass acid etching - raised letters, background gentle deeped, black enamel painted,
if you will interesed in let me know
regards
Robert
WILLYS MB192941 Dec.1942

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”